Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fatality at Dartmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Tell that to the fisherman who hung onto his net for five miles after falling in last month. The water around the uk doesn't get a lot colder throughout the year. Yes it's cold but it's survivable. A good attitude helps and not deciding you are a gonner if you fall in before it even happens.
    +1

Its often said that cold affects people at different rates. There was a story many years ago of a trawlerman who went OB in winter off Iceland, yet survived some 17 hours in the water. he was of course in bad shape, whereas others would only survive minutes. Fitness, body fat, clothing etc all play a part.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    There has been a drowning at Dartmouth just before Christmas. The person's body has only just been found without a lifejacket. He had been out for a couple of drinks before buying a takeaway and returning to the boat where he lived in a dinghy.
    I know you should always wear a LJ whilst in a dinghy but must admit that I don't always because mine is relatively heavy and uncomfortable.
    What is the best type for daily dinghy use all year round?
    If you don't want to habitually wear a self-inflating LJ, then a thermal flotation jacket is an option.
    Both pro and amateur fishermen use them.

Quote Originally Posted by oldharry View Post
    Its often said that cold affects people at different rates. There was a story many years ago of a trawlerman who went OB in winter off Iceland, yet survived some 17 hours in the water. he was of course in bad shape, whereas others would only survive minutes. Fitness, body fat, clothing etc all play a part.
    This is very true and aslo the person had alchol niside the body
    also the Elderly people, homeless people, and those under the influence of alcohol or drugs are particularly vulnerable to hypothermia

General survial times in water for avergae fit person
    2.5 0.3 < 15 minutes 45 minutes unconsciousness Death
    32.5–40 0.3–4.4 15 – 30 minutes 30 – 90 minutes
    40–50 3.3–10 30 – 60 minutes 1 – 3 hours
    50–60 10–15.6 1 – 2 hours 1 – 6 hours
    60–70 15.6–21.1 2 – 7 hours 2 – 40 hours
    70–80 21.1–26.7 3 – 12 hours 3 hours – indefinite
    > 80 > 26.7 Indefinite Indefinite

The UK waters vary but I suspect around the SOUTH Coast in Winter it is around 6 to 10 c but I would always were a buoyancy aid minimal in my dingy.
    thoughts to his family
    Last edited by moomba; 11-01-19 at 21:26. Reason: spelling. editing

I even seem to forget to remove my lifejacket. I've had a couple of " comments " on that. But having worked offshore you learn to keep it on. Now I don’t even remember that I’m wearing it. I’ve been to the Pub wearing it in Gosport (forgot about it.. ) I wear it the all time on the boat only taking it off if were docked and secured.
    I am a CONFIDENT Sea Swimmer under any conditions but it seems that the human body does not float well when alive and... I also learned that its that “its just 100m trip “ that causes most accidents.

Someone told me that early summer is the worst time to fall in water or go swimming voluntarily, it's sad to here.

This is very true and aslo the person had alchol niside the body
    Hic! could-hmmnt hagry moore! shnrzzzv. Hic!

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Quote Originally Posted by Offgridone View Post
    Someone told me that early summer is the worst time to fall in water or go swimming voluntarily, it's sad to here.
    A couple of years ago I fished someone out of the Medway at the end of April. He thought he had been in the water for 30 to 40 minutes. He was a large man with a fair amount of fat and plenty of layers of clothing. He was alongside his boat in a tender and did not see some steep wash approaching and upturned his tender as he went in the river. Once on a nearby pontoon he removed most of his clothes to wring the water out, dried himself off with some towels - then put the clothes back on and walked mile back to his club for a hot shower. He declined having an ambulance called. He was certainly no worse for his dip.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Sad as it is, falling in at this time of year, especially at night with no-one around, a lifejacket may just help recover your body sooner. Survival times will be measured in minutes in the depths of winter.
    The water temp at the time was about 12C. Whilst feeling cold, for most people it’s not cold enough to kill you in minutes. This unfortunate chap lived on his boat moored across the pontoon from mine. He’s been a live aboard in the Dart for many years. It’s a sad loss, who really knows whether wearing a life jacket would have resulted in a different outcome.

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

UK sea temperatures in winter are usually pretty survivable, but river and harbour water temperatures can be a lot lower than the sea's.

I have struggled when working within a harbour despite wearing a warm water fed suit. Breaking the sea ice to get in should have given me a hint.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast