Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Baltimore 2019

Default Re: Baltimore 2019

Evening, All.
    Checking in with the Group.
    If all goes according to plan, Drifter (Moody 31) and I will be joining the Challenge.
    It's getting increasingly "for real" isn't it?

Indeed it’s getting real.

Just bought food and grog for the trip to Plymouth from the East Coast.

Departing Bradwell for Ramsgate on Saturday and then all points West to eventually end up in Plymouth.

Due to another commitment before the start of the Challenge, I hope to get to Plymouth by the 11th June.

Weather so far looks good, if not a bit damp at times.

Good luck everyone.
    Ron - have you got a Spot?
    Not all who wander are lost

Thanks Roger.

Below is my SPOT link. I will activate it today so that it will track Kerrin II’s passage down to Plymouth as well as the Challenge itself.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...cz5zO0GLWX14ni

Off in a few hours!

Hmm, not a great delivery trip. Left Hamble later than I wanted to due to preparations over-running (my fault). Missed every tidal gate. Arrived at Plymouth in the dark and in fog. Decided to enter (bad call should have stood off or found an anchorage). Got it wrong. Grounded on submerged rocks IN the harbour. Called Mayday as taking on water and listing. Lifeboat and Police launch attended.

Paean now out of the water at Mayflower marina and awaiting insurance quotes. There is a slim chance repairs can be done in time. but only slim. Not giving up and am still pressing to make the start, but its looking more unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    Hmm, not a great delivery trip. Left Hamble later than I wanted to due to preparations over-running (my fault). Missed every tidal gate. Arrived at Plymouth in the dark and in fog. Decided to enter (bad call should have stood off or found an anchorage). Got it wrong. Grounded on submerged rocks IN the harbour. Called Mayday as taking on water and listing. Lifeboat and Police launch attended.

Paean now out of the water at Mayflower marina and awaiting insurance quotes. There is a slim chance repairs can be done in time. but only slim. Not giving up and am still pressing to make the start, but its looking more unlikely.
    Phil,
    Im so sorry to hear this. I do hope you can get the repairs done as these opportunities don't come along to often. All that hard work and preparation. Fingers crossed.

Steveeasy
    Last edited by steveeasy; 02-06-19 at 17:37.

PhillM,

There's no great loss in starting later, when the 'poxy is dry. Many Jester and OSTAR types have started even up to a week after the gun. It's what happens next that counts.... and the pub and club at Baltimore will still be there. I say again, it's not a race! "You don't need to be at the Start. You do need to be at the Finish."

A visiting yotsman asked a Baltimore quayside loiterer "I saw, my good man, what time does yonder pub close?" Came the reply "Well, sor, dat'll be about October...."

Quote Originally Posted by steveeasy View Post
    Phil,
    Im so sorry to hear this. I do hope you can get the repairs done as these opportunities don't come alone to often. All that hard work and preparation. Fingers crossed.

Steveeasy
    +1 Very sorry to hear this, I hope you get Paean sorted. I'm quite gutted I can't make the start (so you've already done better than me) but things aren't quite lining up and Ireland isn't going anywhere, don't think you've failed because you haven't.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ballad View Post
    +1 Very sorry to hear this, I hope you get Paean sorted. I'm quite gutted I can't make the start (so you've already done better than me) but things aren't quite lining up and Ireland isn't going anywhere, don't think you've failed because you haven't.
    +1 very sorry to hear this too. Hopefully the repairs can be sorted so that you can do the challenge, even if you depart late. You won't be on your own starting late, as, due to another commitment, I will probably start on the monday after the official start. If the weather is awful, I'll wait even longer until a better weather window appears.

Meanwhile, now in Dover, tomorrow heading for Eastbourne.

As they say... reaching the start is the hardest part... but the most important outcome is that your ok and the boat has been saved... Sounds like you made the right decision to call for help when you did.

Hope you still make the start and look forward to buying you a pint in Baltimore if I make the last 50
    Miles to the start line at Pwhelli.

All the best, Andrew (Vivendi)

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast