Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Baltimore 2019

Default Re: Baltimore 2019

If any Jesters run out of moorings at Tamar River SC, I may be able to help.

PM me.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Hi Sara,

That sounds great, I might need as I don't know Plymouth. My email jmwillis290@gmail.com if you want to get in touch.

Hello Gitane,

yes Pippin is the boat. I guess you are a Westerly man - good choice. I had one years ago. Feel free to email if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by John Willis View Post
    Hello Gitane,

yes Pippin is the boat. I guess you are a Westerly man - good choice. I had one years ago. Feel free to email if you wish.
    Hi John,

Yep, a Westerly Griffon. As per my previous post, this will the first time I have done a challange such as this, so it will be interesting to see how the boat and I get on.

Also, whilst I have two tiller pilots on boards, I will see if I can use sheet to tiller steering for most of the way. I have used this on short passages in relatively calm waters. But, I do wonder if this kind of steering will work in the swells of the Irish Sea.

If not, then I guess I am going to have to consider purchasing a wind vane for steering on longer passages.

Ron

Nice boat Ron,

I am sure both you and the boat will manage just fine, barring extreme weather, which will sort all of us out.

I have rotten history with tiller pilots - I got through 3 on my Sadler 290, 2 of them while doing my 2,000 mile solo trip in 2015. I have to admit to me being at least partly to blame, as I never reefed early enough and probably didn't balance the boat properly.

Now I do have a wind vane, I have to do both those things so I guess a vane makes one a better sailor! Which is good because I never was much of one.

Quote Originally Posted by John Willis View Post
    Nice boat Ron,

I am sure both you and the boat will manage just fine, barring extreme weather, which will sort all of us out.

I have rotten history with tiller pilots - I got through 3 on my Sadler 290, 2 of them while doing my 2,000 mile solo trip in 2015. I have to admit to me being at least partly to blame, as I never reefed early enough and probably didn't balance the boat properly.

Now I do have a wind vane, I have to do both those things so I guess a vane makes one a better sailor! Which is good because I never was much of one.
    2,000 miles solo? Respect!

Where from and where to?

I hope we can meet up in Plymouth or Baltimore as I would love to hear about your experience. What worked and what didn’t?

That's kind of you, but it wasn't non stop. I went from Guernsey, England S. Coast, Irish Sea, Ireland, Holyhead, IOM, up round Cape wrath, Orkneys (friend joined for 10 days), Fair Isle, Shetland, long run back to Scotland, Caledonian (wife joined for a week) etc. Weather pretty crap that year. I was aboard for about 4 1/2 months so became quite intimate with the Sadler 290. Boat never missed a beat though tiller pilots and electronics caused issues. Its all in a blog, which I wrote for family.

When I got Pippin, I headed straight off to Penzance then Baltimore, not so clever as en route I discovered issues, which meant stopping. This year with main issues fixed I crossed Biscay to Spain from Penzance, down the Atlantic coast, then long run home from south of Finisterre, round Ushant. Great boat and wind vane priceless. Feel free to email if you want any more.

Sailing plans are notoriously flexible, but all being well I hope to be in Plymouth a couple of days before D-Day.

My plan, or giving sailing, intent, after Baltimore is to head east and then up the Irish and beyond to circumnavigate the U.K. Any recommendations on marina and anchorages (and pubs!) would be greatly appreciated. Also, is your blog available on the internet?

Excellent intention and you will enjoy it immensely I am sure. There are more marinas now than in 2015 - for example I have just read about new marinas in the Outer Hebrides - so you will have even more choice. Of course I have a few favourites, both marinas and anchorages. I chose not to head down the east coast of England so perhaps some unfinished business.

You can access the blog here https://ajay290.wordpress.com/ but its pretty long so feel free to email anytime.

Meanwhile I'll keep you posted of my arrival in Plymouth - I will probably go Guernsey, Weymouth (to see family) then Plymouth. Where are you based?

Thanks for that.

I am based at Bradwell on the river Blackwater.

I am planning to depart on Jun 1st and head to Plymouth, popping into various marinas and anchorages on the way. If all goes well, I hope to get to Plymouth a few days before the start.
    Last edited by Gitane; 19-03-19 at 08:06.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast