Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Baltimore 2019

Default Re: Baltimore 2019

See you there if not before. Safe sailing

Tempting providence or what? Was getting rid of the nasty polyurethane varnish that was half stuck on the tiller.
    Had to be about 80% finished when a split ran nearly end to end. It's one of those nice looking laminated ones and whatever adhesive was used wasn't up to it. Good job it didn't happen at sea. . I've got access to a joinery shop with undisturbed planks of hardwood tucked away. I've bandsawn out a solid replacement in American red oak: the curve doesn't quite follow the run of the grain but it'll be good enough to be more reliable than dodgy lamination.
    Now follows a few hours with drawknife, spokeshave etc. Don't mind a bit of the old school woodcraft stuff but getting a bit last minute.
    Might trickle some epoxy down the split bit then use boat nails and rivets to hold the old one together. I'll jump up and down on it to test.
    If I then shape up the butt of the new one to fit rudder head fitting then one of them can be the spare. So that's looking on the bright side; the previous emergency one was a length of alu channel. The solid one I can carve into shapes ...maybe have a whale on the end which will keep me occupied for the next few years.

Anyone mind if I join in?

Thanks to zoidberg's encouragement on another thread, I've decided to enter.

Email to EST was sent on Saturday, but no reply yet. However, I am sure that just turning up the week before will be enough. Hope so anyway. If not, I shall just follow you out and tag along anyway - I'll be your stalker!

As I understand it Mike Winter has a Cheverton, so I shall be following in esteemed company. Although mine is a little smaller as she is a Caravel MK2 and only 24'6.

I have wanted to get involved for many years, but family and work prevented. Since my wife passed away 2 years ago, the kids are now all now grown up, I have changed my job to one that gives me a decent amount of time off, so now I have both the time AND the inclination. What could possibly go wrong!

Paean comes out of the water on Tuesday. I have a month to make my preparations. Then a test sail from Hamble to Plymouth.

Not sure what else to say except, I am still in half a mind about a wind vane. Seafeather can get me on in time, but ....

Hope to meet everyone and I am SO looking forward to joining in with the Jesters, both now and in the future.

Phill

Welcome Phill,

Sorry to read of your loss. I find sailing is great therapy.

Good luck with your preparations. Personally I wouldn't wish to do any long trip without a windvane - but then I am just a curmudgeonly old git who doesn't like to get wet or spill his tea.

See you in Plymouth assuming fate doesn't prevent me so doing

JMW

Talking of Windvanes. There is a Navik for sale on Ebay, going off Sunday. I wouldn't like to use a Navik, which a number of Jesters have found to fail, on a long trip but for a short trip like Baltimore it should stand up.
    John Apps

I've had two ST2000 tiller pilots fail on me despite wrapping them up well in waterproof macs. Built a Hebridean and will be using that - I know they work. Tiller pilot was useful when tidying lines and fenders on arrival and departure but can always heave to instead

I've read good things about the Hebridean. Any wind vane is worth its weight in gold I think. Don't let you down or answer back and if they aren't doing the job properly, its because the skipper hasn't set things up properly

Quote Originally Posted by Glayva View Post
    Talking of Windvanes. There is a Navik for sale on Ebay, going off Sunday. I wouldn't like to use a Navik, which a number of Jesters have found to fail, on a long trip but for a short trip like Baltimore it should stand up.
    There is now also an Aires windvane on e-bay as well. Expired in 3 days.

PhillM , I know of a Hebridean thats hardly been used and is very cheap.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Preparations continue: new tiller sort of finished ( some rougher patches underneath so no looking) and keeps getting soaked in Deks Olje.
    Going on scrubbing dock on Monday for antifoul and anodes check.
    Still got electrics to finish....might have to call in a favour from a sparky I know.
    There's GOT to be summat I've overlooked.
    Intend to have a cross Channel jaunt as a shake down in next few weeks.
    How's it going elsewhere

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast