Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Baltimore 2019

Default Re: Baltimore 2019

Hello Spuddy,

good to note your preparations are going well. If your cross Chanel jaunt takes you to Guernsey, let me know and I will be pleased to welcome you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddy View Post
    Preparations continue: new tiller sort of finished ( some rougher patches underneath so no looking) and keeps getting soaked in Deks Olje.
    Going on scrubbing dock on Monday for antifoul and anodes check.
    Still got electrics to finish....might have to call in a favour from a sparky I know.
    There's GOT to be summat I've overlooked.
    Intend to have a cross Channel jaunt as a shake down in next few weeks.
    How's it going elsewhere
    Boat launched yesterday, always a good day when that happens.

To do list getting shorter. Now awaiting some wiring to arrive so that I can finish the solar panel installation.

Plan to bend on sails, spray hood and dodgers tomorrow and prepare the engine for its first start of the season. Hope to go for short shake down cruise next week followed by a trip to Holland and back later this month, assuming weather behaves and warms up a little.

Still looking to start to set out for Plymouth on June 1.

Thanks John. Might contact you on another occasion - always good to have some local contact and knowledge. I was thinking of somewhere further east, Gravelines probably

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ballad View Post
    PhillM , I know of a Hebridean thats hardly been used and is very cheap.
    Thank you. I did consider but after talking to the designer, I am not convinced that my lack of a pushpit is going to make install easy. It would mean hanging the controls off the backstay, which tbh I really don't like the idea of. Instead, I am investigating a Sea feather. We shall see if the Birthday money is sufficient

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    We shall see if the Birthday money is sufficient
    Lucky lad! I was sailing on a friends boat with a seafeather on the helm when we lost a spin guy, the sea feather had no issues feeling us on course even though we had a HUGE flag flying whilst we sorted it out. I would love to upgrade to one at some point.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Well the Birthday money didn't stretch, so I just went ahead and ordered one anyway. Hope to fit the bracket next week and have the unit within an month.

I may be eating soup for a month, but hey, if that's a month at sea, I won't care

How is it going? I hope your fined with from the preparation up to the event. I'm sure you'll make it and learn more things and strategy from it! Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by milljan View Post
    How is it going? I hope your fined with from the preparation up to the event. I'm sure you'll make it and learn more things and strategy from it! Good Luck!
    Ok so Paean is stil out of the water. One last major job to do then some painting.

The Seafeather is ordered, measured up, bracket being made and will be on its way by Monday or Tuesday. Thank goodness Gemma and Lee "get it". Hope to take delivery next week and fit before launch on the 7th May.

Also have a whole list of jobs to do. Most things like solar, larger battery, water tank, new jackstays, roller reefing, single line reefing blocks and lines and so on mostly purchased. Some parts already fitted. But still lots to do. But I shall make it to the start line. After that, we shall see

Well, short cruise done.

Weather in the first week of May currently looks ok for a practice sail to Holland. This will be my first solo overnight sail, so I am not quite sure how I will get on.

Did a bit more sheet to tiller steering practice and this seems to work well, but all this was in a slight sea. Not sure whether this will continue to work in the swell of the Irish Sea, we’ll see.

LED bulbs have arrived, so that will help with the electrics management.

Still on track to join the challenge, but may need to start the challenge on the Monday after the official start.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitane View Post
    Well, short cruise done.

Weather in the first week of May currently looks ok for a practice sail to Holland. This will be my first solo overnight sail, so I am not quite sure how I will get on.

Did a bit more sheet to tiller steering practice and this seems to work well, but all this was in a slight sea. Not sure whether this will continue to work in the swell of the Irish Sea, we’ll see.

LED bulbs have arrived, so that will help with the electrics management.

Still on track to join the challenge, but may need to start the challenge on the Monday after the official start.
    Sounding good and sounds like you are ahead of me.

My next decision is what to stow for heavy weather. By all accounts a Jordan Series is the answer. Thing is I’m short on budget and time to learn how to use one. Decisions, decisions!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast