Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Baltimore 2019

Default Re: Baltimore 2019

+1 well done.

One more thing I would add about night passages.

When approaching the night, I would under canvas the boat so that the boat can look after herself throughout the night. The trick during night sailing seems to be to minimise effort and concentrate on rest and sleep. So, by under canvassing, the boat should sail along balanced and comfortable and this should minimise trips out of the cabin.

In my humble opinion Gitanes is quite right. I always aim to reduce trips outside at night and sure you may lose a few miles, but you will be less stressed and rest better - note rest not sleep. Both important but different, the latter much harder.

I am no racer - don't like spilling my tea so no big balloons aboard Pippin! But have done a lot of solo miles. I also keep boom preventers rigged both sides at all times - also useful when tensioned as hand holds. On the basis that if you go over board you are dead, I also rig my safety lines from aft diagonally to mast on basis 95%+ of my outdoor stuff can be done whilst clipped on there.

I personally would not solo long distance without a windvane but am lucky as the boat came with a Hydrovane. Acts as emergency rudder too.

But in the end each to his or her own.

Agree on the safety lines.

My jack stays used to be rigged like most I have seen, along the sides of the boat to the bow, running just inside the stanchions. But, I figured that whilst this may keep me tied to the boat if I fall in, no good if you are single handed, this does not stop you going over the side.

My jack stays now run along the middle of the whole length of the coach roof, round each side of the mast and to the bow. If I want to get to the mast, then I leave the cockpit clipped on with a long life line tied to a point in the cockpit. This life line is just long enough to get to and sit on the coach roof. Once sitting on the coachroof, I clip onto the jackstay with a short lifeline and release the long lifeline. At that stage, I can’t fall overboard as the short lifeline is not long enough and the clipped on short lifeline give additional support when standing on the coach roof when handling sails etc.

I am of course still vulnerable when going from the cockpit to the coach roof, but there are many handholds in that areas either on the sprayhood frame, the stanchions or the coachroof. I also added some loops to the jackstay near the sprayhood to hold onto when transferring between cockpit and coachroof.

I have another question.

Which charts will people carry getting to Plymouth as well as during the challenge?

I will be going along the south coast to get to Plymouth, and I have already Reid’s Almanac. Given this, should I just stick to only passage charts for the passages to Plymouth and to Baltimore and rely on Reid’s for the approaches to ports. Or, should I also carry the more detailed Imray 2200 series portfolios for the whole of the South Coast or the Admiralty’s Charts equivalent?

What would the panel suggest?

I would suggest you certainly want one or both charts for the Isles of Scilly.....

And harbour-plan scale charts for anywhere else you might possibly NEED to enter.

I bought my boat in Plymouth 13 years ago so no internet or Navionics or a plotter. I used passage charts for the Channel and borrowed a Solent Approaches chart. Thames Estuary too of course. I had only ever daysailed before. It all seemed simple and less hazardous then - comparative ignorance was bliss. And exciting.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by Gitane View Post
    Agree on the safety lines.

I am of course still vulnerable when going from the cockpit to the coach roof, but there are many handholds in that areas either on the sprayhood frame, the stanchions or the coachroof. I also added some loops to the jackstay near the sprayhood to hold onto when transferring between cockpit and coachroof.
    Handholds on the sprayhood are really useful. If you have a couple of spare tethers, put them over the sprayhood - ie one end anchored onto the coachroof forward of the sprayhood, and the other the cockpit side. That way you can hook on in safety and work your way round the sprayhood whilst being tethered rather nearer the centreline than jackstays along the sidedeck.

Charts - I bought some very out of date charts for passage making / planning. I had more recent of the Solent although always end up round the outside . Larger scale of Plymouth area is handy as it is fabulous sailing are. Reeds and electronics kept for unplanned stops.

Ron Gitane - I've got an 11 year old Eastern Channel chart you can borrow (Imray C12). Also an old Shell Channel Pilot and Roger Oliver's Sailing Around the UK. Will be over on Friday (could come sooner) - when do you leave Bradwell?
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    Ron Gitane - I've got an 11 year old Eastern Channel chart you can borrow (Imray C12). Also an old Shell Channel Pilot and Roger Oliver's Sailing Around the UK. Will be over on Friday (could come sooner) - when do you leave Bradwell?
    Thanks Roger, PM sent.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast