Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Baltimore 2019

Default Re: Baltimore 2019

Gents, you have been most supportive in my hour of doubt/need/worry. Thank you.

So have the insurance company: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...54#post6804354

I might just make it. if I do, the beer is on me!

I shall update by the weekend.

Phill

PM sent.

Quick progress report

Now in Brighton marina after a 28 hrs passage from Dover. SW wind and spring tide meant I made no progress just before Dungerness and at Hastings. Kerrin just doesn't like close hauled stuff and doesn't make enough speed to fight strong tides.

To Chichester tomorrow. However, more SW to content with.

Reached Eastbourne from the Medway but have had to pull out because of health issues. Thought I could do the Jester before taking up GP referral for scan and clinic appointment.
    Round the Foreland and down Channel is a bit of a trade route for me but this time it was a struggle most of the time and i was wiped out after a 7 or 8 hour passage so no point in continuing.
    I think they can fix me so looking forward to joining all the Jesters in the future

Sorry to hear this. Hope a speedy recovery.

Well, it was all going too well.

Yesterday, beating my way down the Solent, a jib sheet track pin dislodged out of its fitting and bend to make the track useless.

I fitted an Allen key as a temporary repair to get into Lymington, but this is not an ideal solution. I’ll try to bend the pin back into shape or get an replacement, if this is not possible before the start, I will have to reconsider whether to continue to try to beat my way to Plymouth.

Boat now in Lymington haven, very posh it is too, to sit out the storm this weekend. I am home of the duration to get to work on the pin.
    Last edited by Gitane; 07-06-19 at 08:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitane View Post
    Well, it was all going too well.

Yesterday, beating my way down the Solent, a jib sheet track pin dislodged out of its fitting and bend to make the track useless.

I fitted an Allen key as a temporary repair to get into Lymington, but this is not an ideal solution. I’ll try to bend the pin back into shape or get an replacement, if this is not possible before the start, I will have to reconsider whether to continue to try to beat my way to Plymouth.

Boat now in Lymington haven, very posh it is too, to sit out the storm this weekend. I am home of the duration to get to work on the pin.
    That's a bind Ron. Do you need some help in Lymington. I know someone who lives there who know everything about boats and where to get them fixed.
    Not all who wander are lost

Thanks Roger.

I have managed find a steel supplier and have ordered a replacement pin and some spares. Hopefully they will delivered at home in Essex next week. My wife is due to meet me in Dartmouth for another family engagement, so she can meet me in Dartmouth with the pins.

I will travel back to Lymington tomorrow to sail to Weymouth on Sunday. Light winds on Sunday and Monday, so Allen key should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitane View Post
    Thanks Roger.

I have managed find a steel supplier and have ordered a replacement pin and some spares. Hopefully they will delivered at home in Essex next week. My wife is due to meet me in Dartmouth for another family engagement, so she can meet me in Dartmouth with the pins.

I will travel back to Lymington tomorrow to sail to Weymouth on Sunday. Light winds on Sunday and Monday, so Allen key should be ok.
    Good. You haven't wasted any time with this weather blowing through.
    Not all who wander are lost

C8AF4A9C-3CFE-44C1-AF09-8E49073A32BF.jpg

Here is a photo of the Allen key solution to the broken job sheet track. It got us into port, but not a solution I should rely on to continue to beat into the wind.

However, I have probably never used this particular key and will probably never do in the future, so it is great that it was put to useful use this time.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast