Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Racing bilge keel yachts

Back onto the subject, I raced a bilge keel Moody 336 for several seasons and we did quite well with it. The Moody has a good hul and the fiun versions are I believe raced successfully in Scotland. We found that our performance downwind was little different to fin keelers of similar length and design. The big difference was upwind where speed was similar but direction wasnt. We lost maybe 5 deg when hard on the wind, part leeway part pointing.

This was racing under PY in a friendly club competition so the boat was a sensible choice allowing both visits to shallow / drying locations as well as some racing fun. I replaced her with a fin which sails better but which is a PITA cruising in the bristol channel.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Pretty much what I expected then I guess. Its a shame as Id like to talk myself into one but I wouldn't want to give up the height and speed upwind. Sailing on a tidal river that would just be a killer when punching the tide.

It all depends on the make up of the competing fleet. If its a mixed bag racing under NHC then I really wouldnt see an issue. In the 336 we were racing against some fins - Trappers for example - and did quite well. What makes for interesting racing is havinmg an overall performance level that is in the same ballpark as the rest of the fleet.

We have boats where the owner has bought something really fast in a fit of enthusiasm. They find themselves either miles ahead or falling behind on handicap depending on tide and wind strength. Its a bit like putting a multihull into a monohull race. No fun.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12