Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to mark rigging screws ?

Quote Originally Posted by Motor_Sailor View Post
    Just count the number of 1/2 turns it takes to undo them and write that on a label tired to each one together with which wire it came from.
    That's what I do, unless I'm just taking the mast out, in which case everything gets undone five complete turns. Used to be ten turns on a more elastic boat.

Quote Originally Posted by penberth3 View Post
    That's actually the only way to do it. Dismantling and reassembling to a measured length you can't be sure you've got the same tension as you had before.
    Probably as well to check (and I do) but the turns count method is normally within a few percent. (I'm supposed to change tensions for every 5kts or so more wind, so the Loos gauge is always on hand).

Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    I'm supposed to change tensions for every 5kts or so more wind, so the Loos gauge is always on hand).
    Can you expand on this?
    I can see the point for the forestay, which is why you have an easily adjusted backstay tensioner, but for a cruising yacht to have to change rigging tension for every 5 knots is hardly practical.

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    Can you expand on this?
    I can see the point for the forestay, which is why you have an easily adjusted backstay tensioner, but for a cruising yacht to have to change rigging tension for every 5 knots is hardly practical.
    It's a racing keelboat, and on mine it doesn't actually get changed very often anyway. It's the caps and lowers that get tweaked, forestay stays fixed but often hangs loose with the mast rammed forwards, backstay is in play frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by penberth3 View Post
    That's actually the only way to do it. Dismantling and reassembling to a measured length you can't be sure you've got the same tension as you had before.
    I wouldn't dream of disagreeing with you but could you explain why not?
    'To lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe' (EC Treaty)

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    I wouldn't dream of disagreeing with you but could you explain why not?
    It certainly shouldn't be far off, but connections might not be seated or aligned exactly as they were before. There will also be a bit of structural movement of hull and mast, which again might not return to original position.

Number of turns to get near, then Loos for finishing.
    Is what I used to do, when I had one of those new-fangled bermudian tupperware craft, the ones that distort meaningfully, when shroud tension is altered, so you need a Loos gauge.. every time..
    The great thing about the Loos gauge is, it's easy to sell when you get a proper gaff-rigged boat
    Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12