Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery Testing

Default Re: Battery Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    There are modern battery testers but I still use the old style.
    That is a tester where you apply a large load and watch the voltage.
    If the voltage holds over a 10 second time period, the battery is good - otherwise I replace it.
    And, yes all the batteries in that connected together should all be replaced.

More importantly, you don't seem to have a way of monitoring the battery bank.
    I suggest that you fit a Victron BMV monitor.
    I fitted one 10 years ago when there was only one option but these days there are a number of Victron battery monitors available.
    Essentially, they do the same thing.
    Once set up you can then monitor the % full value.
    IMO, well worth the small cost of fitting.
    Here is a link to a supplier - after a quick Google so you may find a better deal.
    https://www.es-store.co.uk/product_l...hoCBi0QAvD_BwE

Do you have a method of determining how much power the fridge freezer consumes - if not, one of these Victron monitors would help.

I used a Bosche drop tester.

All passed with flying colours.

No way!

Left if for an hour under load with chargers off. One was far lower than the others - replaced all good.

So testing is not an exact science!

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    I used a Bosche drop tester.

All passed with flying colours.

No way!

Left if for an hour under load with chargers off. One was far lower than the others - replaced all good.

So testing is not an exact science!
    This is the tester that I use.
    Crude but it works for me.
    http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilde...iredresults=16

Thanks for the advice folks. As Hurricane says I don't have any info on battery condition apart from the very basic voltage meter so I will definitely look at the Victron or similar system. In the meantime it looks like two new batteries are in the offing.

Quote Originally Posted by IDAMAY View Post
    Thanks for the advice folks. As Hurricane says I don't have any info on battery condition apart from the very basic voltage meter so I will definitely look at the Victron or similar system. In the meantime it looks like two new batteries are in the offing.
    Are these the batteries you bought in Jersey in 2016 Richard? If so - why dead so soon - charger or shore supply issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    This is the tester that I use.
    Crude but it works for me.
    http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilde...iredresults=16
    Mine was similar but about 4 times the size. Was owned by boats.co.uk Turned an element inside red hot to generate the load. Battery still passed !

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelpickin View Post
    Are these the batteries you bought in Jersey in 2016 Richard? If so - why dead so soon - charger or shore supply issues?
    Yep, those are the ones. The charger is fine but they may have been flattened once by shore power failure. Also I could do with more amp hours on tap I think.

Piers' thread has made me think about battery testing but not wishing to hijack it. I have two linked 12V 180ah AGM batteries. They don't hold charge for more than a couple of hours once off external power from shore or generator. Their base load is a fridge and freezer through an inverter, plus lighting which is almost all LED. When new three seasons ago they would comfortably keep all this running overnight.

It seems clear that one or both batteries are past it. Is there any way in which I can easily find out if it is just one or both that need replacement? For instance would one of the more sophisticated battery testers enable this. For example the Ancel BA101. Or are their other methods?

Thanks for your help.
    Hi Richard. The lessons I've learned over the 16 years we've had Play d'eau, is:

1) An intelligent battery charger is key
    2) The charger to have the correct setting for the type of batteries it's charging
    3) The batteries all bought at the same time, from the same supplier (so you have batts form the same manufactured batch) - i.e., don't mix and match. Why? The one which is less good will demand a greater charge from the charger which will be applied to all batts, potentially over-charging the better batts

Piers
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

Quote Originally Posted by Piers View Post
    Hi Richard. The lessons I've learned over the 16 years we've had Play d'eau, is:

1) An intelligent battery charger is key
    2) The charger to have the correct setting for the type of batteries it's charging
    3) The batteries all bought at the same time, from the same supplier (so you have batts form the same manufactured batch) - i.e., don't mix and match. Why? The one which is less good will demand a greater charge from the charger which will be applied to all batts, potentially over-charging the better batts

Piers
    Hi Piers,

Thanks for the advice of your experience. The charger is at least a semi intelligent one being a Mastervolt of roughly 2003 vintage and the batteries are all of the same type and supplied at the same time. However, I take your point about keeping that commonality. They replaced a very funny set up which combined AGM and lead acid which didn't strike me as very smart, particularly as they are located under the bench in the dinette!

Richard.

The 700 is for a single bank, 702..you guessed..for two banks, I guess for the starter bank. The standard shunt is 500A which they say is adequate for most situations, but they do a larger one if needed. The 712 has bluetooth if you want to use their App.
    Doesnt seem many people make this sort of thing?

I have one of these to test batteries, as mentioned above it applies a load in the form of a heating element:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverlin...8cC:rk:12:pf:0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12