Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Mood lighting advice please?

The cabin lights in my Jeanneau 805 Leader 'Smuggler's Blues' are fitted in the headlining and very much ON or OFF. There are recesses either side of the ceiling which contain the curtain tracks, and it strikes me that RGB LED strip lighting fitted into here that also had the ability to turn white and which could be dimmed would give a great deal more options for cozy evenings on board. I know that a few people have fitted this sort of lighting, and so I wondered whether I could ask some advice?

This is the cabin where I'd like the lighting to go.

My thinking is to have the controller on the bulkhead at the starboard aft end of the dinette. Then run the wire from it to the curtain recess above, that would link to the strip of lighting that would run most of the length of the recess. Then at the bow end the wire could go behind the curtain to the wooden panel with the mirror at the end, run across behind that, then behind the curtain on the port side up to the recess that would contain a matching lighting strip. So the whole thing is powered and controlled on one circuit. Is that feasible?

In terms of kit, I've seen this which looks ideal, but I have very little knowledge or experience, so would be keen to hear whether I'm on the right lines or whether there is something better I should be considering?

This for the lighting (it appears that the size I'm considering should be able to be wired in series): https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/led...v-60-led-metre

And then this to control it which looks like it will allow colour control, the ability to easily switch to white, and the ability to dim the lighting in either colour or white mode: https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/led...nel-controller

What do you think?

Default Re: Mood lighting advice please?

I've just found photos on my phone of the actual recesses.

I fitted LED strips on my last boat at they looked great. Stick and wire up...all done

I don’t think you can go far wrong.

My only comment is if possible, stick them to the vertical surface, maybe above the curtain track if you have room so the leds are facing the hull rather than straight down. It gives a nicer effect IMHO. Mine where a bit harsh pointing straight down but then they weren’t dimmable.

You can always try in both positions with a bit of tape to hold up before sticking permanently.

You can no doubt work out the amp draw but I had 2 x 3m lengths and they pulled about 3-4amp combined according to the boat amp metre....not that it was that accurate...and old wiring feeding them etc....

I think it will look really good!

agree with FARSCO (re placement)
    my only concern would be that all your surfaces around there are glossy reflective grp. Means that no matter what leds you use, you'll be able to spot exactly where each led is...
    You need some decent diffusers on top of them, the leds you linked to are just plain strip.
    Of course you could have the curtains to reflect/diffuse the light, so maybe it will be ok.
    just a thought since mine were annoying even reflected on black leatherette...

cheers

V.

The best place to buy this stuff is on eBay.

i use the same controllers - they are about £10. Likewise RGBW lights.

Comes in 12v and 24v - suspect you will need 12v.

I would agree - place facing the curtain to defuse the light.

The stuff will fall down! No matter how much Acetone etc you use to clean it with the adhesive on all of them is lousy. I would soak the extra hassle first time round and use contact adhesive. If not you will end up doing that after 3-4 months any way as soon as the sun comes out and heats it up.

The max that one controller can run is 5m, more than that you need to add in an amplifier. I have a set of amplifiers next to the controller as i have a lot of strip.

You can try it without if you are only a bit over 5m, but dont take the output from one to feed the others. Run separate wires from the controller to each strip - if not the end ones will be noticeably dimmer than the starting ones.

As an aside you might want to remove the curtains all together and make up blanking plates covered in fabric to cover the post holes at night. It is total blackout and will look nicer.

Have fun

Nick
    I bought these diffusers a few weeks ago from amazon for £20

5x 1 Meter Aluminium LED LineMini Profile with Opal Cover/Diffuser Channel For 12V 24V 5050 5630 3528 Strip Lights Single Color RGB White Kitchen Cabinet

Seen used domestically and look good. Provision install on boat looks good but they aren't against glossy GRP. Defo diffuse though

Another +1 for the placement, mine were pointing straight down so I moved them. Surprisingly little effect in the amount of light emitted but it looked far better.
    I bought the cheapest kit from ebay, the controllers etc are fine but the LED's have started failing so I'll be replacing the strips themselves with better quality units.
    It was a very worthwhile upgrade, the ceiling lights are hardly ever used now.

That's really helpful advice, thank you all.

So it sounds like the best place is on the vertical surfaces facing toward the hull sides. Good point about the shiny GRP being reflective and diffusers sound like a good idea if they'll fit, but what is the best thing to use? (I couldn't see anything on the web site). The simple answer also might simply be to draw the curtains - they're mostly going to be used at night anyway.

Sounds like the best thing is to wire them individually from the controller to avoid them being dimmer at the end of the run. They are only going to be a metre each however, so maybe worth trying in series first (would cut down on the wiring)?

[url]https://arc-led.co.uk/profiles/221-4168-arc-ts-surface-mounted-led-profile.html#/104-metres-1_metre[/url

You need a flexible one like the above

You'll have to change her name from Smuggler's Blues to Tart's Boudoir! …

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast