Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Where to wait if miss locks (Portishead)

Quote Originally Posted by vodzurk View Post
    Hi,

You are indeed right, my mistake... my picture is of The Hole, not Portishead Pool...

Attachment 75416

If the tide tables are showing a 2m+ LW over datum, my first thought would be to consider hoping into the spot marked on the Avon here, though it's quite a narrow pool... maybe against the wall?

Attachment 75417

I'm not overly confident on industrial ports being friendly. After a bit of a scare (thought engine was on fire) and subsequent main engine failure near Port Talbot, the Coastguard were asking them if we could hold position inside their walls whilst we recouperate and determine what to do next (check aux fuel, tidal flow around Swansea, upcoming weather, update our emergency contacts route plan, etc)... and were effectively told to buggeroff. I don't know how friendly Portbury and Avonmouth are though.

If push comes to shove though, and conditions really turn, it'd be sitting against their wall (out of any traffic flow)... hopefully with permission!

That said... if conditions stay > F3, it might be ok for those cargo ships to enter/leave... how much of a bow-wave could they kick up leaving harbour? Might be enough to ruin a tiny 21-foot mobo's day!
    When you were trying to get help from Port Talbot did you consider calling a PAN PAN ? After all you were in need of some assistance? I wonder if you did call a PP whether they are then more obliged to help?

Default Re: Where to wait if miss locks (Portishead)

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness View Post
    When you were trying to get help from Port Talbot did you consider calling a PAN PAN ? After all you were in need of some assistance? I wonder if you did call a PP whether they are then more obliged to help?
    No, I didn't put it down as a PAN PAN... by the time we were in the vacinity of Port Talbot, it was more a breathing space and get our act together (which is hard crouched over the aux, half soaked on the swim platform, strapped to the railing). In fairness, I think the Coastguard was asking them if we could dock, but I'm not entirely sure. As a non-emergency situation but with a boat that might be knackered, they weren't keen and hence the buggeroff. All communication was via CG, and 9 months back, and involved plenty of stress so might not be fully accurate.

We weren't under any immediate risk (after confirming the engine wasn't on fire... which would have gone straight to DSC MAYDAY and abandon ship due to petrol explosion risk... something I need to work out our plan for if it ever happens again!)... as we had an Aux and sea conditions were good. With that in mind, I radio'd CG for advice. They set up 30 min position checks with us... and offered to tow us. Our aux was doing its job, so politely declined the tow (I hear it can be stresfull on your cleats?). CG were 100% lovely and nice to speak to, I can't rate them highly enough! As we came closer to Swansea, we noticed that a lifeboat was chilling in the distance of the bay... I think they might have been keeping an eye on us at various points . It was nice to know they had our back.
    YouTube: Gorjus Boating
    Boat: Sealine 195

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12