Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ria de Alvor

Default Re: Ria de Alvor

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    It is / was their port. It's where they land their fish and live for many of them. AND they were there a long time before we were.
    What I was getting at is that being in the EU, opens it up to all EU citizens and those with permission to be in the EU. They can be upset about it, but I imagine they benefit greatly from EU money. As long as boaters are anchoring considerably and conducting themselves in a respectful manner, why would it bother the fishermen?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedefieslife View Post
    As long as boaters are anchoring considerably and conducting themselves in a respectful manner, why would it bother the fishermen?
    Never had a problem in there. They whizz past full speed a few feet from your anchored boat but that's just what they do to get where they're going. Generally the portuguese are as cheerful and well mannered as you'll find anywhere, it's the expats from further north that are the grumpy ones

I suspect a lot of "unwelcoming locals" is more perception than reality...
    Last edited by GHA; 03-05-19 at 08:02.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    They whizz past full speed a few feet from your anchored boat but that's just what they do to get where they're going.
    Just like all the other Portuguese with power boats They use the moorings as slalom courses at 20+ kts.

I anchored in Tavira wednesday night. Quite regular fishing boat traffic all night. No bother for us goes with the territory.

Anyone know what all the new piling is for on the west side of the entrance round the corner?

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    I anchored in Tavira wednesday night. Quite regular fishing boat traffic all night. No bother for us goes with the territory.

Anyone know what all the new piling is for on the west side of the entrance round the corner?
    No, sorry,

But I do know what the small buoyed off area in the middle of the portimao anchorage is.
    Wait for it.....................

A Flyboard area.
    One of those things first seen on a James Bond film some years ago that runs off a jet ski engine.

Now that's really going to spoil my dozy afternoon siestas. I'll have to go up to Alvor for some peace now.

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    No, sorry,

But I do know what the small buoyed off area in the middle of the portimao anchorage is.
    Wait for it.....................

A Flyboard area.
    One of those things first seen on a James Bond film some years ago that runs off a jet ski engine.

Now that's really going to spoil my dozy afternoon siestas. I'll have to go up to Alvor for some peace now.
    I left Alvor for Culatra yesterday for some peace and quiet. The place was blooming chaos, full of drunken Irish and as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the Portuguese use it as a slalom course. Its definitely not the same place that it used to be.
    Also, there are several bars where its 99c/€1 a pint and only getting worse.
    There are transfer firms doing Faro Airport to Alvor for €45. The influx of erm..... the lower end of the social scale is only going to get worse now that Lyingair have a hub at Faro. Ruining the place.

Wink Re: Ria de Alvor

OK, maybe anther place off the "quiet" list.
    I still have a few secrets though.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtack View Post
    the Portuguese use it as a slalom course. .
    Or judgemental cruisers anchor in the way of portuguese fishermen going to work....

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Or judgemental cruisers anchor in the way of portuguese fishermen going to work....
    Considering that I've been here for two years and have learnt a thing or three about local habits, then No. Not judgemental at all. Alvor has become a hole. It's ok to visit by car for a meal, but Sailing there has become a nightmare. I was on a pontoon for the few days that I was there, so not exactly in the way of anyone!

Any more questions? PM me. Graham 376 knows what he is talking about too, you could do much worse than to ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtack View Post
    No. Not judgemental at all.
    Alvor has become a hole.
    The irony

I'll be sure to ask Graham next time he's down.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast