Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ria de Alvor

Default Re: Ria de Alvor

Quote Originally Posted by crashtack View Post
    Any more questions? PM me. Graham 376 knows what he is talking about too, you could do much worse than to ask him.
    Alvor? Haven't been in there. First time, went the correct side of the first green and ran aground, only to be told later it's off position. Next time, rounded the green and then the turn to stbd OK but got washed to port by a RIB coming out on the wrong side at lunatic speed and we hit the bank, about half tide at the time. Never bothered since as reports say too many day trippers there.

If you're looking for reasonably quiet spot in Ria Formosa, head up the channel towards Faro and drop the hook by no.21 green. You can dinghy into the small boat marina from there, club bar (by petrol dock) has good snack lunches and beer and there's an outboard repair place next door with a few bits of chandlery. If you go there, you will see our 376 is on its mooring next to PM grey boat - at least I hope it's still there, I'll be back next month.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    The irony

I'll be sure to ask Graham next time he's down.
    'ello sailor, how's the rust bucket doing? Should be there early June after a week or so in Lisbon, I'm ready for frango, fritas and a few jugs of cheap vinho verde

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Alvor? Haven't been in there. First time, went the correct side of the first green and ran aground, only to be told later it's off position. Next time, rounded the green and then the turn to stbd OK but got washed to port by a RIB coming out on the wrong side at lunatic speed and we hit the bank, about half tide at the time. Never bothered since as reports say too many day trippers there.
    Been in a load of times over the years, can be handy if southerly swell forecast which can make Portimao anchorage a bit rolly though best to get in the narrow entrance before it comes. And nice spot imho. Fine apart from the bit between the green and red, I've track of best water recorded from following mate who runs the tourist boats. Which might be different this year after winter storms. Apparently gone to the dogs which would be odd, as you know nothing changes that quick in Portugal.
    C u for piri piri n vino soon, too much fun and playing too many gigs for rapid boat work so still be in same spot

Smile Re: Ria de Alvor

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Or judgemental cruisers anchor in the way of portuguese fishermen going to work....
    Agreed but it can be a bit un-nerving if you've got visitors onboard who haven't experienced it before.

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Agreed but it can be a bit un-nerving if you've got visitors onboard who haven't experienced it before.
    Being going in and out of Alvor for the last 17 years and, to the best of my knowledge, no body has been hit or run down by a local boat - visitors occasionally drag or swing into each other.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Similar in Culatra after dark first time you see a couple of not quite sober fishermen drifting a few feet from your stern laying a net through the anchorage then rowing around banging on their keel to scare the fish in the net. Their patch. Appropriate response can only be a cheerful boa noite to them as they pass by

you ain't in the Solent no more.

I'm back running a yacht out of Ayamonte again on Sunday, planning to anchor off Culatra on Monday and dinghy ashore for a beer. Looks like Scorchio!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234