Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Electromagnetic log transducer.

Would it be easy to wire into the Raymarine ST60 instruments, or SL70C chart plotter?

My main interest would be in the true wind calculations that I think are based on the log speed. Does anyone know whether that works on nmea log speed or if it's just a seatalk thing?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by adamlang View Post
    Would it be easy to wire into the Raymarine ST60 instruments, or SL70C chart plotter?

My main interest would be in the true wind calculations that I think are based on the log speed. Does anyone know whether that works on nmea log speed or if it's just a seatalk thing?

Thanks.
    To get true wind on the ST60 wind display then boat speed is needed on Seatalk.

I think the most useful way to achieve that would be to convert the NMEA output to log-type pulses and feed those into the ST60 log display, as discussed here. One snag is that uses the GPS speed sentence RMC but NASA outputs VHW. As Nigel Mercier showed, it's possible to "roll your own" so it shouldn't be hard to make a converter using VHW from a NASA log. I was thinking of doing that myself if there's positive feedback for the NASA log.

Derek

All hull mounted logs will be affected by weed and barnacle build up on adjacent hull and on unit itself, so none will be much good for navigation over any distance unless continually recalibrated. I adjust gain several times a year by comparing gps with log in still non tidal harbours or lagoons. The only advantage of the new one is that it cant be fouled by twigs or seaweed or broken by boat lifts. If I needed a new one it might be worth extra cost if it could interface directly with my TackTick but I don't and it cant.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by adamlang View Post

Thanks.
    My Raymarine autopilot has an NMEA input and outputs Seatalk, which your ST60 wind instrument could use. Perhaps your SL70 can do the same?

20190805_180909.jpg20190805_180748.jpg20190805_180817.jpg

Well it's arrived. Nasa seem to have upped the quality of their packaging.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by tean View Post
    20190805_180909.jpg20190805_180748.jpg20190805_180817.jpg

Well it's arrived. Nasa seem to have upped the quality of their packaging.
    So, how has this worked out??

Keen to see a review!

Unfortunately I haven't had time to dry the boat out and fit it yet. I currently have an Echopilot paddle wheel job and need to enlarge the hole to take the new transducer. Might get it done next month.

Quote Originally Posted by tean View Post
    Unfortunately I haven't had time to dry the boat out and fit it yet. I currently have an Echopilot paddle wheel job and need to enlarge the hole to take the new transducer. Might get it done next month.
    I too look forward to the report in due course.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456