Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Electromagnetic log transducer.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Certainly looks interesting, ta for the link.
    Not so sure about the blurb though...

the control box converts the sensor signal to boat speed, trip and total distance and sends it to any compatible NMEA-0183 display.

Do such nmea0183 sentences exist?
    Yes, VLW is the distance travelled through the water, and VHW is the speed through the water. The Nasa's "control box" presumably remembers the total distance travelled; the trip distance is reset every time the power is switched off.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Yes, VLW is the distance travelled through the water, and VHW is the speed through the water. The Nasa's "control box" presumably remembers the total distance travelled; the trip distance is reset every time the power is switched off.

Happy to be corrected ta, had a look on here and everything. http://www.catb.org/gpsd/NMEA.html

Must try harder pre posting

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybirdgaffcutter View Post
    Thanks Doug748, I will be putting an order in, fed up with paddlewheels.

Good work. It says available first quarter so you may have a bit of a wait. Let us know how you get on.
    It will be on my "to do" list for next year, all being well.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post

Happy to be corrected ta, had a look on here and everything. http://www.catb.org/gpsd/NMEA.html

Must try harder pre posting
    If all else fails, distance through the water becomes an essential tool. I still have my Wlker log but no means of attaching it to my current boat. A paddle wheel should give a tolerably accurate reading of distance but there is one caution. This is that a distance log must not under-read because therein lies the way to go aground and disaster. You therefore need to have a good feel for whether the log is recording the right speed or not. My current one is pretty good; it either reads correctly or way out, but you don't want the log to read 5% low if relying on it to make a landfall.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

The one time I used a Walker log, it showed almost exactly the straight line distance between the departure and destination, over five days. Despite one morning finding that the line was slack and 'something' had bitten off the spinner. Fitted the spare, but had no idea how long it had been missing. All night?

Actualy have a Seafarer log kit in the shed. Replaced that and the Seafarer depth sounder recently in a friend's boat. Think I will use the depth in my current little build, but no use for the log.
    Last edited by DownWest; 21-01-19 at 19:36.

I used to like the electric trailing log that I had on a previous boat. Seemed pretty accurate; didn't get fouled up because it was out of the water unless under way; looked like it might be at risk of get caught up in the prop or rudder in reverse, but never did.

The only downside was that people would attract my attention to warn me I had a rope trailing in the water!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    ; didn't get fouled up because it was out of the water unless under way; looked like it might be at risk of get caught up in the prop or rudder in reverse, but never did.
    Makes such a mess when it gets caught in tbe fishing line though

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    I used to like the electric trailing log that I had on a previous boat. Seemed pretty accurate; didn't get fouled up because it was out of the water unless under way; looked like it might be at risk of get caught up in the prop or rudder in reverse, but never did.

The only downside was that people would attract my attention to warn me I had a rope trailing in the water!
    That would have been a Stowe; how did you get on recovering and coiling the line / cable ?

I imagine a lot less handy than my Wasp trail log I still deploy when out of the Solent, when off watch below I could tell our progress by the gentle thrumming sound through the coaming, a very handy bit of kit for going west / cross Channel even with GPS.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    That would have been a Stowe; how did you get on recovering and coiling the line / cable ?
    They don't take kindly to being reversed over. A friend of mine who was a bright chap found that out.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post

I imagine a lot less handy than my Wasp trail log I still deploy when out of the Solent, when off watch below I could tell our progress by the gentle thrumming sound through the coaming, a very handy bit of kit for going west / cross Channel even with GPS.
    It was a Stowe. (I'd forgotten the name.) Recovering and coiling the line it was easy. I can't imagine how it would be easier.

I still have one, not in active use, that I picked up at a boat jumble, and have used it a couple of times to check the accuracy of suspect through-hull paddlewheels.

I was interested years ago to read about a tiny Autonnic one, where the trailing spinner (autocorrect tried to say sinner! ) was small enough, it was said, to drop down through the cockpit drain. (I've got what I think may be an Autonnic log instrument head (fixes to pushpit rail) - it came with a boat I bought - but doubt I could find the trailing bit these days.)

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    They don't take kindly to being reversed over. A friend of mine who was a bright chap found that out.
    When I first got mine I was very nervous of that possibility, but after having forgotten several times to haul it in before reversing without a problem, I eventually got blasé about it and never really bothered. It never did come to grief. (It was off to one side, though, as I trailed it through one of the stern quarter fairleads.)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast