Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Electromagnetic log transducer.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Might be old data on your web browser, maybe try putting a ? at the end in the address bar

https://www.nasamarine.com/product/e...magnetic-log/?

On the page you link to, below the text you show, it says out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post

Let us know how you get on
    +1

Okay ordered one from MES. £150 without the display.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    On the page you link to, below the text you show, it says out of stock.
    Ah, scroll down and there it is.
    Suppliers seem to have them in stock though.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Lots of negative comments about traditional wheel type logs in this thread. I am most impressed with my new Airmar log/depth/temperature transducer. In combination with the B&G kit it provides an astonishing amount of data in combination with the GPS input, indicating the speed and direction of currents.

I painted the wheel and housing with one coat of Velox at the beginning of my season, launched April 29. The transducer has not been removed or cleaned in almost three months, photo shows it when removed on July 23.

Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Lots of negative comments about traditional wheel type logs in this thread. I am most impressed with my new Airmar log/depth/temperature transducer. In combination with the B&G kit it provides an astonishing amount of data in combination with the GPS input, indicating the speed and direction of currents.

I painted the wheel and housing with one coat of Velox at the beginning of my season, launched April 29. The transducer has not been removed or cleaned in almost three months, photo shows it when removed on July 23.

Interesting! I got a new boat this year with the same transducer. Launched April and no problems at all (which is amazing for the Hamble - last boat would have fouled in weeks), even though the boat itself has grown a beard in the last fortnight!

Not sure that it was antifouled with anything....but maybe it was

It's easy to remove the log unit and clean it, but it still runs slower as the hull grows a layer of slime.
    Will this affect the electromagnetic units the same , or do they penetrate beyond the boundary layer?

I think good AF on the hull will slow growth on the paddle wheel nearby.

It is of course very easy to remove and clean a log, but it always produces a fountain that even if I get the cap on quick allows a good few liters of sea into the bilge. That might not be a problem if you have a leaky boat that routinely gets salt water in the bilge but it's a pain if like me, you're a fussy sort who is a bit OCD about having clean, dry bilges. That amount of water won't get my pumps particularly interested and so I'll have to mop it out by hand. And then I'll feel the need to rinse it all with freshwater to get rid of the salt. And mop that out too. It all becomes too much of a faff and so I don't bother and the log remains fouled until the next time I dry the boat out.
    I remember years ago I had a boat with a Navico log that had a spring loaded valve in the skin fitting that helped a lot but haven't had that luxury for a while now.
    Perhaps the EM log will turn out to need cleaning just as often. It appears to have electrical contacts on it that presumably have to connect to the water. Presumably it won't work if they get fouled with sea stuff. Who knows? Nobody on this forum by the looks of it, so I've taken the punt and will try to rectify that.

I look forwards to hearing how it goes.
    Just a shame about the 0.1 knot resolution.
    The biggest use for a speed log is looking for changes due to sail trim, a log that goes from 6.0 to 6.1 knots could be telling you about a significant increase, or it could just mean it's flipped over from 6.049 to 6.051
    I want to see numbers going 6.04, 6.05, 6.06 etc as the speed builds, although the actual speed will always only be 'about six' as the real accuracy is not to be taken seriously.
    It's about seeing the little changes, or sometimes stoppng the wishful thinking imagining that pulling the sheet in has made you go faster.

I installed one on my Hunter Pilot 27 about 6 weeks ago and have been very pleased with it. Installation was easy (I paid a professional!!) and it has just done what it says on the tin since then. Calibration is easy using the interface box. Would definitely recommend.

Rich

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast