Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East coast trip

Default East coast trip

I'm planning a 3 week holiday this year (probably June). Thinking of getting my day skipper and venturing to sea for the first time (ideally no more than 2 weeks out of the Thames). We've been on the Thames estuary (from Windsor) before and up the Medway, but thinking of turning left this time.

What advice would you give me on places to visit and preparation? My boat is a 80s steel with a 100hp Volvo. She's been used at sea before and has radar but no nav equipment. I'm also mindful of the limited power.

Thanks John

Default Re: East coast trip

Suggest you post this on East Coast Forum. There will be loads of knowledgeable advice.

Personally would not be going past Teddington without out at least one decent known quantity radio and plotter with up to date chart card, to go anywhere beyond Gravesend into Sea Reach, method of depth sounding would be reassuring..
    You could get away with a laptop software nav system but would def suggest proper plotter.
    Papercharts or no.
    For comfort, no strong easterly winds esp against tide.
    Use the ebb to help you on your way preferably LW at the mouth of the Crouch and then use the flood up.
    The Medway is difficult to get disorientated in, the trip up the Maplin Sands needs more thought.
    Burnham would be first on my list.
    You may be down to 8 knots if punching tide so add time factor to to calculations..
    Ps .all the usual reminders about fuel filters and lifejackets.
    Last edited by oldgit; 21-01-19 at 22:59.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Personally would not be going past Teddington without out at least one decent known quantity radio and plotter with up to date chart card, to go anywhere beyond Gravesend into Sea Reach, method of depth sounding would be reassuring..
    You could get away with a laptop software nav system but would def suggest proper plotter.
    Papercharts or no.
    For comfort, no strong easterly winds esp against tide.
    Use the ebb to help you on your way preferably LW at the mouth of the Crouch and then use the flood up.
    The Medway is difficult to get disorientated in, the trip up the Maplin Sands needs more thought.
    Burnham would be first on my list.
    You may be down to 8 knots if punching tide so add time factor to to calculations..
    Ps .all the usual reminders about fuel filters and lifejackets.
    Seeing as oldgit mentioned Burnham, it's worth pointing out that the 'shortcut' via Havengore Bridge should be checked for operational status if factoring into a passage. Several times over the past 12 months it has been out of action for remedial work.

Thanks gents

Hi all, plan to make the trip from Queenborough to Burnham on Tues 20 June. Should I go up the Barrow Deep or the Middle Deep? And I should arrive at Inner Whitaker at low water? ta John

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

West Swin > Middle Deep/East Swin

The most efficient tidal timing would mean being at South Whitaker at Low Water thereby taking the ebb out and then the flood up the Crouch.

On the return leg NB that the tide turns earlier than at BoC which if you don't allow for it makes the last couple of miles rather boring as you punch and increasingly foul tide.

All the above based on displacement speeds
    Substance over style

Thanks LG. What is BoC? And for the return journey to St Katherine's, I guess I'd leave Burnham a little before LW to catch the flood up the estuary and Thames? John

When we go to Burnham we use the inshore route.
    Queenbourgh.
    Past the Wreck.
    Blacktail.
    Maplin
    Maplin Edge
    Maplin Middle.
    Maplin Approach
    When the Whitaker bouy finally hoves into view any depth worries, go right up to the bouy before going round into Crouch.
    To make the most of the flood back up to London, would be plan to arrive at Whitaker bouy around LW.
    Tides are dropping off so less problems about depth as week goes on.
    Will you have enough time to leave Burnham to get to Richmond on single tide.?

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts...51.6662/1.1711
    Last edited by oldgit; 11-06-19 at 07:24.

Fking stupid web site... just blew out everything .i was trying to write
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast