Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: East coast trip

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Default Re: East coast trip

Quote Originally Posted by Sowenna View Post
    Thanks LG. What is BoC? And for the return journey to St Katherine's, I guess I'd leave Burnham a little before LW to catch the flood up the estuary and Thames? John
    Burnham on Crouch.

If timing is marginal to get back to Richmond you could always arrive a bit before LW at Whitaker and punch the last of the ebb along the East Swin
    Substance over style

Hi OG, thanks for that info. Will be v useful in my planning.
    We are on holiday for 3 weeks, so if locking times work, I'd like to stop at St Kats on way back to Windsor.
    John

Thanks LG too, just saw your reply.

I dont understand folks fixation with Burnham on Crouch, from the entrance do yourself a favour and go into Blackwater to either Bradwell, Tollesbury or Brightlingsea.
    Burnham is a really long run in from the mouth and theres not much there when you get there, then you have the same long schlepp back out again.
    From Blackwater, easy run up to the Orwell and Deben.

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Burnham does at least have a choice of places to eat/drink and somewhere to get fresh provisions - compare this with somewhere like Tollesbury which when I last visited required taking delivery of takeaway if you didn't want to eat at the Yacht Club
    Substance over style

Quote Originally Posted by Parabordi View Post
    I dont understand folks fixation with Burnham on Crouch,
    ....a nice basic simple A to B journey for somebody exploring new horizons ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    ....a nice basic simple A to B journey for somebody exploring new horizons ?

......................but as for going into the Deben on any first trip past Teddington ! H,mm.
    But its not is it? He is a slow boat, after the long journey down the Thames its a never ending haul into the Crouch, you could be tied up in Brightlingsea in the Club long long before you reach Burnham.

Plus Burnham Yacht Harbour muchos expensivos

Done Orwell to Medway at 8Knots scores of times. Deben i grant you is an advanced topic...

Anyways each to his own.

Afternoon all

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all on this thread and my last one. Some great tips which assisted greatly in a successful first sea trip.

Very smooth on the way to Burnham. Queenborough was a really useful place to split the journey up on the way there. A slight bit of roll (for 5 mins) as we left the last bit of the Couch on the way back to the Thames (as we turned to starboard to head along the coast). A light Easterly breeze and 0.5 m waves, which weren't idea but we decided to take the risk (and it was manageable). Then a following sea, after the turn, which was ok.

Thanks again - John

Quote Originally Posted by Sowenna View Post
    Afternoon all

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all on this thread and my last one. Some great tips which assisted greatly in a successful first sea trip.

Very smooth on the way to Burnham. Queenborough was a really useful place to split the journey up on the way there. A slight bit of roll (for 5 mins) as we left the last bit of the Couch on the way back to the Thames (as we turned to starboard to head along the coast). A light Easterly breeze and 0.5 m waves, which weren't idea but we decided to take the risk (and it was manageable). Then a following sea, after the turn, which was ok.

Thanks again - John

Thanks for coming back and giving a report on how you got on.
    OG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12