Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 135
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    18,481

    Default RN submarine seamanship strikes (almost) again.

    This time it was a Stenaline ferry from Cairryan to Belfast they almost hit.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...ntral-46954212

    As if the North Channel wasn't busy enough. We really don't need the sardine can boys playing silly b*****s there.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Usually South Coast but now West Coast of Scotland
    Posts
    1,708

    Default Re: RN submarine seamanship strikes (almost) again.

    Or you could say the ferry almost hit the submarine but that would possibly be against your narrative.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sussex / Hants
    Posts
    27,829

    Default Re: RN submarine seamanship strikes (almost) again.

    How did they know it was an RN sub, did someone in the know recognise the masts from the tower / fin ?

    I once had a sub hide under my boat ( detected it by depthsounder given the clue of a helo dipping sonar very nearby during a NATO exercise ) but no clue which nationality.

    It's believed a Contessa 32 was sunk by the periscope and / or other masts of an RN sub in the North Sea some years ago, and I remember the fishing boat crews from Portpatrick were very bitter and cynical after a British sub surfaced unknowingly in the middle of a fishing fleet; I've asked sub drivers if having the depthsounder on might help but it depends on the speed the sub is doing for a start.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,638

    Default Re: RN submarine seamanship strikes (almost) again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    How did they know it was an RN sub, did someone in the know recognise the masts from the tower / fin ?

    I once had a sub hide under my boat ( detected it by depthsounder given the clue of a helo dipping sonar very nearby during a NATO exercise ) but no clue which nationality.

    It's believed a Contessa 32 was sunk by the periscope and / or other masts of an RN sub in the North Sea some years ago, and I remember the fishing boat crews from Portpatrick were very bitter and cynical after a British sub surfaced unknowingly in the middle of a fishing fleet; I've asked sub drivers if having the depthsounder on might help but it depends on the speed the sub is doing for a start.
    It would appear that a "spokesman" for the RN has confirmed that it was a RN submarine. The MAIB are investigating. It'll be interesting to see if any report is published.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Usually South Coast but now West Coast of Scotland
    Posts
    1,708

    Default Re: RN submarine seamanship strikes (almost) again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    How did they know it was an RN sub, did someone in the know recognise the masts from the tower / fin.
    Quite right. I remember years ago being on fish patrol in the Irish Sea when we saw a periscope ahead of us. We followed standard procedure at the time and reported the details to the MOD by urgent message. They advised it was not one of ours.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Boat (now back in) the Clyde
    Posts
    5,064

    Default Re: RN submarine seamanship strikes (almost) again.

    Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    Or you could say the ferry almost hit the submarine but that would possibly be against your narrative.
    If one vessel is very visible on the surface and broadcasting on AIS - and another vessel is submerged, hidden from sight, no material radar trace and not broadcasting on AIS - then it is the latter, the submarine, that has the entire onus to keep clear of the surface vessel.

    Different if the grey line boat was on the surface and broadcasting on AIS. But it wasn’t.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: RN submarine seamanship strikes (almost) again.

    Depends how close was close. If that periscope was a fishing boat there probably wouldn't have been a word said about it. People see an ominous periscope and imagine this massive thing under the water. We will have to wait and see the report.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,638

    Default Re: RN submarine seamanship strikes (almost) again.

    Quote Originally Posted by black mercury View Post
    Depends how close was close. If that periscope was a fishing boat there probably wouldn't have been a word said about it. People see an ominous periscope and imagine this massive thing under the water. We will have to wait and see the report.
    Eh? How could the periscope be a fishing boat?

    Yes, if I see a periscope, I certainly imagine a massive thing under the water. What would you expect a periscope to be attached to?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: RN submarine seamanship strikes (almost) again.

    Sorry my English probably isn't up to some standards. What i meant was if the periscope HAD been a fishing boat, and that some people think submarines are bigger than they actually are. I am sure most people could understand.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    29,346

    Default Re: RN submarine seamanship strikes (almost) again.

    Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    Or you could say the ferry almost hit the submarine but that would possibly be against your narrative.
    Nail on Head.

    Here's what I posted in the Lounge:
    Quote Originally Posted by A1Sailor View Post
    A pesky car ferry tried to mow down one of their submarines which was at periscope depth but the brave submariners managed to take evasive action.
    A1Sailor :ThumbsUpSmiley:

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to