Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Default Re: RN submarine seamanship strikes (almost) again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    That sort of behaviour can get one shot..

https://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk...rst-world-war/
    Thank for that sobering tale...
    A1Sailor

Quote Originally Posted by maxi77 View Post
    And a Stena spokesman said '"At no stage were the vessel, passengers or crew in any danger.' which would tend to suggest that the incident was not perhaps quite as scary as some would like to suggest.
    MRDA: Mandy Rice-Davies applies. Though I suspect that in a collision between a Stena ferry and a submarine, the submarine would have the rougher time.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Pretty impressive stealth ferry to be able to sneak up like that.

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    They bought them in Finland and they are very fast indeed, passage time is as good as the guzzling jet thingys that used to send the big pressure wave ashore as they went up the loch.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    They bought them in Finland and they are very fast indeed, passage time is as good as the guzzling jet thingys that used to send the big pressure wave ashore as they went up the loch.
    Indeed, though shifting the termini from Stranraer to Cairnryan and from Belfast to the arse end of nowhere have helped a lot. After two fishing boats were swamped and the occupants drowned in Loch Ryan, the high speed things were restricted to 10kt (I think) there, which added a lot of time. As did the "Dead Slow" crawl up Belfast docks.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    Nah, it just shows that RN lookout is on a level with their navigation skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    A1Sailor
    That sort of behaviour can get one shot..

https://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk...rst-world-war/
    OK, it was nasty and vindictive but, national pride and a fantastic propaganda opportunity apart, were the Germans wrong in law? He was a civilian and he attacked an enemy vessel, after all.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    were the Germans wrong in law?
    I'd be interested in the answer to that question. On the one had a merchant ship defending itself from a vessel trying to capture it seems perfectly reasonable on the other hand I would fully expect a civilian attacking a ship in port to be prosecuted.

Anyone know what the law actually states?

EDIT:

I'll answer my own question. I'm quite surprised, but then it wasn't unanimous:

German post-war confirmation of court-martial[edit]
    On 2 April 1919, a German international law commission named the "Schücking Commission", after its chairman Walther Schücking, reconfirmed Fryatt's sentence:[15][16]

The execution by shooting of Captain Charles Fryatt, which was given by the Court Martial Bruges, due to the sentence of the court martial proceedings on 27 July 1916, contains no violation of international law, The Commission apologizes most vividly for the hurry in which the judgement was enforced.

The Commission's ruling was not unanimous. Two members of the legal review panel, Eduard Bernstein and Oskar Cohn, dissented because in their opinion Fryatt's sentence had been a severe infringement of international law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charle...#Court-martial
    Last edited by Mark-1; 24-01-19 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Nah, it just shows that RN lookout is on a level with their navigation skills.
    Why do you say that? Presumably they saw each other as no collision occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by East Cardinal View Post
    Why do you say that? Presumably they saw each other as no collision occurred.
    Doesn't follow. Did either have time to take avoiding action or was it just good luck that there was no collision. The big question is "What the hell was a submarine playing at, lurking at periscope depth on a busy shipping route?" Here is what the ferry has been up to for the past couple of days:

As you'll see, its track is predictable within a band about a mile wide. Anyone waiting invisibly within that band is just asking for trouble.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast