Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beale Park 2019 Cancelled

Seems a bit of a shame that a couthie small boat experience is gone. Possibly not to return.

Default Re: Beale Park 2019 Cancelled

How sad. Do you know why?

Pity. There is someone on here, Max, who was showing a planing gaff cutter!
    I had a short sail of her (in 'displacement mode'..), cracking little boat.
    I hope he's sold some anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gdallas View Post
    How sad. Do you know why?
    Just what is says in the mag: https://classicsailor.com/2019/01/be...-is-cancelled/

Way back, we used to exibit at the Earls Court show. After several years, father decided it was not worth the disruption and effort. Small boys collected your leaflets, existing owners came to chat, tyre kickers abounded and, just a very few wanted to buy. He found that sales usually came from other sources. It was quite expensive to do ten days at EC.

LadyBird GC, Think it was Max who started to market the OZ 'scruffs' cnc kits in UK. A build was covered in PBO or Watercraft? but IIRR he gave up fairly quickly.

I used to exhibit at the Wooden boat show when it was at Greenwhich, (Benfleet Boat Co) I stopped going not long before it moved to Beale park. I dont recall many people ever selling anything at the show rather sales & repair work would come along later.
    I think most of us regarded it as something of a good natured holiday & the best bits were the evenings yarning in the Plume of Feathers after the show.
    Went to Beale a couple of times as a show goer, A great event but to be honest im surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Way back, we used to exibit at the Earls Court show. After several years, father decided it was not worth the disruption and effort. Small boys collected your leaflets, existing owners came to chat, tyre kickers abounded and, just a very few wanted to buy. He found that sales usually came from other sources. It was quite expensive to do ten days at EC.

LadyBird GC, Think it was Max who started to market the OZ 'scruffs' cnc kits in UK. A build was covered in PBO or Watercraft? but IIRR he gave up fairly quickly.
    Yes that's right, thanks for jogging my memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybirdgaffcutter View Post
    Yes that's right, thanks for jogging my memory!
    We went this past year. As a visitor it was wonderful. So quiet so much space. A delightful atmosphere.
    But for the organisers a disappointment.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Wellington, NZ tried for two years to get a boat show off the ground, good space, outdoor and and on the water at Seaview Marina, good exibitors, but not enough public footfall or sales to warrant the cost of putting it on.

Shame, but is simple economics.

In the Earls Court days I was asked take about a third of the area of the Lucas Marine stand. Whatever happened to Lucas Marine!

I was 2 I/C of the largest Lucas Service depot, based at Park Royal, so nice and handy.

I was a boat owner so I put in useful tools, fast moving spares, terminal kits, meters, jump leads, battery leads and terminals, overalls, hand cleaner and lubes/greases. Plus of course, a selection of alternators, starters, dynamo's and regulators.

Every evening the sold stock was reported to Park Royal and replaced where possible for the next day.

We made a bomb. I luckily got the stocked items about right, had good staff who could sell and from HQ I managed to keep the shelves full.

The boss of Lucas Marine complained to my boss that it lowered the tone to have "Barrow Boys" next to their posh stand where industry bigwigs were entertained.

My boss, Bert, was very direct. His reply went something like "So, its all right for you to invite a retail outlet to share 1/3rd of the cost of the stand space, but not for us to sell anything?" No reply was forthcoming from the complainant, but we were asked again the next year, and offered commision for selling the fast moving Lucas Marine stuff-guages, sender units, relays, switches etc.

Sold $H1tloads, barstewards would not pay the commision!

C'est la vie......................

I think there's clearly market for a 'sailing event', but it seems marketing and selling (the point of it) is secondary. Might be worth someone charging a small ticket fee for visitors and simply having sailing events to get people involved in sailing, with guest boat sellers as an option.

It's sad to see anything like this come to a close because there aren't many opportunities to get involved in sailing. (It's proven nigh on impossible for me so far >_>).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast