Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Default Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

I spent 20 years in keswick, in the Lake District, and it's a great place to live if your into the outdoors.
    Things I like for living there,
    Huge range of pubs
    Lots of cafes, restaurants, galleries etc,bi weekly markets.
    It's a pretty and compact town.
    Good mix of locals, and incomers.
    Temp folk coming to live and work there so they can climb/walk/mountain bike etc for a season or three keep it young, outward looking and vibrant!
    Small enough you get to know many faces ( pop is 5000)
    Tourists keep the economy humming, provide plenty of work, ( albeit low paid) means a larger than normal amount of pubs and restaurants survive and thrive, and add an interesting dynamic to the social scene.

The only thing wrong with it is it's not on the coast with a harbour/marina/moorings. Plus my wife thinks the lakes are too wet and cold

So we are looking for somewhere to live in the future, currently Tynemouth, Newcastle is favourite, because it's within fairly easy reach of keswick and the lakes, it has a lot of those keswick plus points above, and is on the coast, has surfing, and my wife is a geordie and fancies going home.

The sailing is not great from around there though, so where else in the country, ( England Scotland Wales) would we find a small pretty market village with the good parts of keswick I outlined above, but is on the sea, I can keep our boat there and has good local sailing and is a good base for multi day/week long and several week long cruising from?
    And ideally has a decent climate!

I'm hoping the combined knowledge and experience on here will give me some great ideas and counter my my ignorance of the rest of the country

Default Re: Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    I spent 20 years in keswick, in the Lake District, and it's a great place to live if your into the outdoors.
    Things I like for living there,
    Huge range of pubs
    Lots of cafes, restaurants, galleries etc,bi weekly markets.
    It's a pretty and compact town.
    Good mix of locals, and incomers.
    Temp folk coming to live and work there so they can climb/walk/mountain bike etc for a season or three keep it young, outward looking and vibrant!
    Small enough you get to know many faces ( pop is 5000)
    Tourists keep the economy humming, provide plenty of work, ( albeit low paid) means a larger than normal amount of pubs and restaurants survive and thrive, and add an interesting dynamic to the social scene.

The only thing wrong with it is it's not on the coast with a harbour/marina/moorings. Plus my wife thinks the lakes are too wet and cold

So we are looking for somewhere to live in the future, currently Tynemouth, Newcastle is favourite, because it's within fairly easy reach of keswick and the lakes, it has a lot of those keswick plus points above, and is on the coast, has surfing, and my wife is a geordie and fancies going home.

The sailing is not great from around there though, so where else in the country, ( England Scotland Wales) would we find a small pretty market village with the good parts of keswick I outlined above, but is on the sea, I can keep our boat there and has good local sailing and is a good base for multi day/week long and several week long cruising from?
    And ideally has a decent climate!

I'm hoping the combined knowledge and experience on here will give me some great ideas and counter my my ignorance of the rest of the country
    Kingsbridge in South Devon.

I live in Kingsbridge and love it but it doesn’t fill your criteria.
    Nice climate but very wet.
    Population 5K but not many good restaurants in town, although some decent ones within a few miles.
    Four hours drive to get anywhere (2 + to Bristol)
    More importantly nowhere to keep a deep keeled cruising boat at reasonable cost. Long waiting list on deep water moorings.

Try Brixham. A bit tatty round the edges but loads of pubs etc, cheaper housing, and modestly priced municipal swinging moorings in the outer harbour, as well as an Mdl marina. Still wet though!

I have been to Maryport and Silloth for work a few times and thought they both looked nice, but since that's your old stamping ground I presume you have reason to reject them.

I don't think any Galloway coastal places would suit. How about Girvan? Mind you, I have friends in Tynemouth and it seems very nice indeed. South Shields SC looks lively (from the deck of the IJmuiden ferry) and I near nothing but good about Royal Quays or St Peter's marinas.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; 27-01-19 at 17:20.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Methil would be perfect for you!

Largs on the Clyde, Knoydart if you like remote places.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Largs on the Clyde, Knoydart if you like remote places.
    Yes largs, Ayr and Troon on Scotland's SW is lovlely , great sailing and surfing in Kintyre , and great access to the highlands and the 2 main cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh
    Or there is Berwick on the East coast (good surfing) , and if your really adventurous the Isle of Arran has a lovely feel for it and very arty and community minded , and the ferry fares are capped at ERT fares.(Grandparents lived on the Island for 20 years)
    But to be honest , the climate can be pish, if your looking for Sun the SW and SE is were you need to bee heading.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Knoydart if you like remote places.
    Maybe just a wee bit too remote?

The Essex/Suffolk rivers? Alderburgh?

No mention of financial limitations, so how about Beaulieu in the New Forest or across the Solent, Yarmouth, IoW?

Maldon
    Woodbridge
    Not all who wander are lost

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast