Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

How about Lymington? The only down side is it's a bit bigger than your requirements with a population of just over 9,000.

Wells.

Mevagissey? Always liked visiting there, never lived there for any length of time though, maybe a little small

The place you are describing is not within you geographical limits but Kinsale would meet every other issue, heaven on earth and is only a short drive to the vibrant city of Cork, or if you want cheaper perhaps Youghal.
    Important thing is that you would feel welcomed and quickly integrated and you would be staying in the EU, need to move quick though immigration to Ireland is already taking off big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    The place you are describing is not within you geographical limits but Kinsale would meet every other issue, heaven on earth and is only a short drive to the vibrant city of Cork, or if you want cheaper perhaps Youghal.
    Important thing is that you would feel welcomed and quickly integrated and you would be staying in the EU, need to move quick though immigration to Ireland is already taking off big time.
    Maybe he wants to leave the EU and has not mentioned another country

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    I spent 20 years in keswick, in the Lake District, and it's a great place to live if your into the outdoors.
    Things I like for living there,
    Huge range of pubs
    Lots of cafes, restaurants, galleries etc,bi weekly markets.
    It's a pretty and compact town.
    Good mix of locals, and incomers.
    Temp folk coming to live and work there so they can climb/walk/mountain bike etc for a season or three keep it young, outward looking and vibrant!
    Small enough you get to know many faces ( pop is 5000)
    Tourists keep the economy humming, provide plenty of work, ( albeit low paid) means a larger than normal amount of pubs and restaurants survive and thrive, and add an interesting dynamic to the social scene.

The only thing wrong with it is it's not on the coast with a harbour/marina/moorings. Plus my wife thinks the lakes are too wet and cold

So we are looking for somewhere to live in the future, currently Tynemouth, Newcastle is favourite, because it's within fairly easy reach of keswick and the lakes, it has a lot of those keswick plus points above, and is on the coast, has surfing, and my wife is a geordie and fancies going home.

The sailing is not great from around there though, so where else in the country, ( England Scotland Wales) would we find a small pretty market village with the good parts of keswick I outlined above, but is on the sea, I can keep our boat there and has good local sailing and is a good base for multi day/week long and several week long cruising from?
    And ideally has a decent climate!

I'm hoping the combined knowledge and experience on here will give me some great ideas and counter my my ignorance of the rest of the country
    Interesting question.
    My slant on it is that Keswick is special because its tourist season is quite long? You have serious climbers out of the sunny months, walkers in the summer?
    Most tourist places have a shorter season and are dead outside that, apart from Xmas, New Year, half terms?

I'd guess that Keswick is also so far from anywhere much else that it's not driven by people who live there and work elsewhere.
    E.g Lymington, which is a fine place, is full of people who work in Southampton and London. But there is a 'locals' community there.
    I am tempted to suggest Weymouth.
    Lyme. Padstow. Exmouth. Falmouth?

Blackpool
    Claymore

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Largs on the Clyde, Knoydart if you like remote places.
    I know both of them well, knoydart no chance, my wife would kill me Largs, naa, a tourist town has to be relatively well heeled, to have the kind of pubs I'm thinking of. She wouldn't be overly impressed by the typical Scottish drinking dens.
    I'd live on Millport in a heartbeat though! I think Scotland will be a hard sell cos of the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I have been to Maryport and Silloth for work a few times and thought they both looked nice, but since that's your old stamping ground I presume you have reason to reject them.

I don't think any Galloway coastal places would suit. How about Girvan? Mind you, I have friends in Tynemouth and it seems very nice indeed. South Shields SC looks lively (from the deck of the IJmuiden ferry) and I near nothing but good about Royal Quays or St Peter's marinas.
    Yup, and I actually like Maryport quite a lot, but if I was staying in that area I would be as well in cockermouth or keswick, both are nicer towns. Tynemouth is the current plan, Jo's health may possibly change that by the time we come to move, so I'm looking for nice, warming, sunnyish places as an alternative, in case she is restricted to pottering about a garden and looking at the views.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Interesting question.
    My slant on it is that Keswick is special because its tourist season is quite long? You have serious climbers out of the sunny months, walkers in the summer?
    Most tourist places have a shorter season and are dead outside that, apart from Xmas, New Year, half terms?

I'd guess that Keswick is also so far from anywhere much else that it's not driven by people who live there and work elsewhere.
    E.g Lymington, which is a fine place, is full of people who work in Southampton and London. But there is a 'locals' community there.
    I am tempted to suggest Weymouth.
    Lyme. Padstow. Exmouth. Falmouth?
    Spot on about the season. Weymouth, now I stopped there for three days last march bringing jojo round from keswick And I really liked the town, felt like a real place, with a lot going on. Never been to the others, tho always liked the sound of Falmouth.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast