Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 103
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Keswick, Cumbria
    Posts
    1,616

    Default Re: Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

    Quote Originally Posted by chanelyacht View Post
    All of Cornwall has some very deprived areas, but then so do most places.

    I don't recognise that description of Falmouth, yes, it can get busy in summer (half the time due to students) but certainly isn't "dead" in the winter - unless, I suppose, your viewpoint is of some Damien Hurst wannabe poncing around between their one weekly lecture on post-modernist crayoning.

    The maritime side of the Uni is flourishing, and with far less pretentious people.

    To answer the OP's original question, it has to be Penzance. Not without it's problems, but a fantastic town.
    I really really like Penzance, the couple of times I have been thereI reckon it would be a great place to live!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Keswick, Cumbria
    Posts
    1,616

    Default Re: Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

    Wales is a good idea, I like Bangor and Aberystwyth , I prefer fishguard to milford, but Jo has family around Llanelli so Pembroke could be a good call. North Wales is a bit easier to get out of mind, and is my old climbing haunt.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In Oar
    Posts
    1,886

    Default Re: Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

    Off into the Plymouth estuaries such as Millbrook, Cargreen or Calstock - probably a bit smaller than what is required but nice enough places and not bad value for the West Country.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    5,805

    Default Re: Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Almost all nice seaside places have problems because visitors (a) buy holiday houses, pricing locals out and (b) disappear in the winter, As a result, locals tend to depend on low-paid seasonal work and still can't afford to live there. Cornwall gets it worst because it's such a nice place to go on holiday, but you find the same problems all round the coast.
    +1 - it's generally true of all non-industrial seaside towns. During the summer they depend on visitors; during the winter they hibernate! And "winter" for a seaside town tends to mean "not in the school holidays". You might do better in places with with an active fishing fleet - Eyemouth in the Scottish Borders comes to mind, but places like that are becoming less and less common as inshore fishing gets less profitable. Eyemouth has an interesting history; being the East Coast port closest to England, it had a thriving smuggling trade, which is well-remembered in the town! Dunbar was good in the 60s, but I gather the harbour has silted up and the fishing fleet diminished since we berthed there with my father's boat.

    That said, Keswick must go to sleep in the winter; the Lake District is very much a holiday destination, and my experience of it is that it is full of tourist oriented shops (nothing wrong with that!). Of course, Keswick also has the annual Keswick Convention, which probably has a major effect on the "feel" of the town.
    Last edited by AntarcticPilot; 29-01-19 at 10:41.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    St Neots
    Posts
    27,860

    Default Re: Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

    Personally I'd stick with Keswick but moor the boat near Oban. That way you'll see so much rain you'll get used to it and it won't bother you ;-) Seriously , though, I'd give my eye teeth to reside in Keswick. Borrowdale holds a special place in my heart with teenage years spent climbing on Shepherds, Black,Falcon, Goat etc and evenings in the Woolpack or Dog and Gun.
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Keswick, Cumbria
    Posts
    1,616

    Default Re: Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

    Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    +1 - it's generally true of all non-industrial seaside towns. During the summer they depend on visitors; during the winter they hibernate! And "winter" for a seaside town tends to mean "not in the school holidays". You might do better in places with with an active fishing fleet - Eyemouth in the Scottish Borders comes to mind, but places like that are becoming less and less common as inshore fishing gets less profitable. Eyemouth has an interesting history; being the East Coast port closest to England, it had a thriving smuggling trade, which is well-remembered in the town! Dunbar was good in the 60s, but I gather the harbour has silted up and the fishing fleet diminished since we berthed there with my father's boat.

    That said, Keswick must go to sleep in the winter; the Lake District is very much a holiday destination, and my experience of it is that it is full of tourist oriented shops (nothing wrong with that!). Of course, Keswick also has the annual Keswick Convention, which probably has a major effect on the "feel" of the town.
    Keswick has a surprisingly long season, it does have the only mountains in England, so the serious walkers and climbers still come here all year round. Definitely quieter without the main tourists though, it's great to get the pubs to ourselves.

    The convention is a blight, fills up all accomodation for 3 weeks with visitors who spend very little relatively. It would be ok in the winter, but a pita in the summer.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    5,805

    Default Re: Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

    Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    Keswick has a surprisingly long season, it does have the only mountains in England, so the serious walkers and climbers still come here all year round. Definitely quieter without the main tourists though, it's great to get the pubs to ourselves.

    The convention is a blight, fills up all accomodation for 3 weeks with visitors who spend very little relatively. It would be ok in the winter, but a pita in the summer.
    I know the place from both angles; in my younger days I climbed many of the Lake District peaks - indeed, I heard the results of my Finals while camping at Wasdale Head (in those days, that meant a pre-planned telephone call to a friend who remained behind!). And I attended the Conference once; again, long ago. The Keswick Conference may not bring much to the town directly, but I suspect that it does mean that a large number of people who might not otherwise think of the Lake District as a holiday destination have it raised in their awareness. And, of course, all those people who let accommodation do all right out of it; my recollection is that accommodation is at premium prices during the Convention!

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    1,196

    Default Re: Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

    Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    . . .And, of course, all those people who let accommodation do all right out of it; my recollection is that accommodation is at premium prices during the Convention!
    Even those with accommodation to let still seem to be very vocal in trying to get the convention moved out of Keswick. Haven't heard any locals who like it.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    5,805

    Default Re: Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

    Quote Originally Posted by Motor_Sailor View Post
    Even those with accommodation to let still seem to be very vocal in trying to get the convention moved out of Keswick. Haven't heard any locals who like it.
    The Conference is less of an event in the Christian Calendar than it once was; it's place has to some extent been overtaken by other events such as New Wine, Greenbelt and similar. The Keswick Convention tends to be more hardcore theology!

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wetherby
    Posts
    1,244

    Default Re: Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

    You said that it would be Tynemouth if the sailing were better. Having sailed round the UK twice and having been based for the summer in most parts I would say - what is wrong with sailing from Tynemouth ? Whenever there is a westerly wind you get smooth seas and an offshore breeze, its an easy trip to the Farnes and Whitby , you can go upriver for a great night out and have 24h access to the sea from a lovely marina with new facilities. When you want to go further you can go down the coast to the east coast rivers or across to the Netherlands or up to the Forth, Moray Firth and Caledonian Canal. IMHO The Farnes has the best wildlife anywhere round the Great Britain and is a day sail away. As far as I can see the only downsides are the relative cold compared to the deep South and the rough seas in Easterlies.
    Do everyone a favour - Smile !

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to