Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Default Re: Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
    I fear that even the advertised service is optimistic. And it is a long long way by road. From anywhere.
    Indeed. My other half dislikes sailing but likes Gigha and has joined us there in the past. It's a heck of a bus trip, though. Ardrossan to Campbeltown would have been worth it if the service wasn't so rubbish, so Glasgow to Macrihanish by Loganair is looking like a better option.

If you get the timing right, Ardrossan - Brodick is 55 minutes, Brodick - Lochranza is 35 minutes and Lochranza - Claonaig is 30 minutes, Since Ardrossan - Claonaig is three hours by road, those of us coming from the south can shave up to an hour off the trip to Kintyre that way. In theory. I have never actually done it, but I have gone Wemyss Bay - Rothesay, Rhubodach - Colintraive, Portavadie - Tarbert and returned Tarbert = Portavadie, Hunter's Quay - McIlroy's Point which are both scenic routes but not much faster than the road.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Indeed. My other half dislikes sailing but likes Gigha and has joined us there in the past. It's a heck of a bus trip, though. Ardrossan to Campbeltown would have been worth it if the service wasn't so rubbish, so Glasgow to Macrihanish by Loganair is looking like a better option.

If you get the timing right, Ardrossan - Brodick is 55 minutes, Brodick - Lochranza is 35 minutes and Lochranza - Claonaig is 30 minutes, Since Ardrossan - Claonaig is three hours by road, those of us coming from the south can shave up to an hour off the trip to Kintyre that way. In theory. I have never actually done it, but I have gone Wemyss Bay - Rothesay, Rhubodach - Colintraive, Portavadie - Tarbert and returned Tarbert = Portavadie, Hunter's Quay - McIlroy's Point which are both scenic routes but not much faster than the road.
    I have used all these ferry services for great wee cycling holidays around the Clyde. Love it. Ardrossan to Campbletown is a great idea, but the problem really comes down to not having good enough or reliable enough ships in the CalMac fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
    Ardrossan to Campbletown is a great idea, but the problem really comes down to not having good enough or reliable enough ships in the CalMac fleet.
    Agreed. It's not a bad idea to do it as an extension of the Brodick run[1] although it slows things down a bit, but if they want to make a go of it they need a dedicated ship and a sensible timetable. Maybe they'll have something to spare if the new Glen Sannox can be got working before it bankrupts Fergusons.

Kintyre Express tried and failed, but maybe a rib side across for 35 single wasn't an attractive proposition.

[1] My father did a summer as purser on that route. TS Duchess of Argyll, 1954, I think.

"Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?
    You could always try Dunoon.

There's something to be said for the western end of the Jockinese Rust Belt, but I'm embargoed from saying it on here.....

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    If it was just me, places like helensburgh would work, but its not an attractive place. Needs to be pretty, thriving, popular and forward thinking.

Someone mentioned brixham, that might be worth a look.
    Helensburgh has a lot of rabid anti English folks too.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post

There's something to be said for the western end of the Jockinese Rust Belt, but I'm embargoed from saying it on here.....
    Dunoon is nice and just outside the area my Aunt and Uncle have just bought a house outside Dunoon from Loch Ard were they stayed for 15 years , they find it life style much better and good transport links

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Has it really managed to make the shift from "unspeakable dump" to "vaguely respectable"? I suppose stranger things have happened., and it's a long time since the Yanks left.

When my last boat was based on the Gareloch we had a standing joke that if anyone ever asked "Where's Dunoon?" - have been asked, perhaps, to steer towards it, answering "under that raincloud" without bothering to check was almost always accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Has it really managed to make the shift from "unspeakable dump" to "vaguely respectable"? I suppose stranger things have happened., and it's a long time since the Yanks left.

When my last boat was based on the Gareloch we had a standing joke that if anyone ever asked "Where's Dunoon?" - have been asked, perhaps, to steer towards it, answering "under that raincloud" without bothering to check was almost always accurate.
    No way it s the New Brighton

How about Fort William?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsailor View Post
    How about Fort William?
    I thought one of the OP's requirement was for a place without too much rainfall. And a reasonable cultural life. Look elsewhere.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast