Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Making gusset to fit curve

Is there a technique for copying the curve of the hull onto a template, to make gussets to fit in the keel 'vee' of the hull?
    I watched a video of a spile & flag, but being in a vee, the other side would get in the way?
    This kind of thing
    Gusset.jpg
    Thanks

Default Re: Making gusset to fit curve

Make a rough template of stout card or thin ply. Then use a spacer and pencil to trace the shape. Lay the template on your gusset/floor material and use the same spacer, other way round, to trace the true outline on the material.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gdallas View Post
    Make a rough template of stout card or thin ply. Then use a spacer and pencil to trace the shape. Lay the template on your gusset/floor material and use the same spacer, other way round, to trace the true outline on the material.
    Yes, and a circular spacer e.g. a rubber tap washer or something like that makes it easy to roll the pencil around at a fixed radius from the surface.

I would start with a sheet of A4, push it down to the bottom then crease the paper round the curve, tearing the paper where necessary.
    Cut the paper round the crease, refit and add / remove paper where necessary. Transfer that shape to card (cereal packet) then refit to test.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Three words. Ticking stick. YouTube.

As above, Tick stick, otherwise known by boat builders as spiling. No poncing around with cardboard just a dead quick & simple method that works & is highly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by gdallas View Post
    I have always used a drawing compass, but this seems a better way to do this type of thing.
    Thanks

'To lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe' (EC Treaty)

Quote Originally Posted by penberth3 View Post
    Yes, and a circular spacer e.g. a rubber tap washer or something like that makes it easy to roll the pencil around at a fixed radius from the surface.
    I find a thin spile kept vertical easier in the long run, as the offsets are in a fixed direction.
    A circle rolling on a surface traces a different shape, sometimes in a non-obvious way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast