Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Inverted saloon layout

My dear Navigator is delighted that our newer boat has galley in the pilot house, thus aft. Less far to carry tea without spilling in in a seaway. Less far to go to cook when whole boat is rolling like a fairground ride. Helmsman can even steer while keeping an eye of kettle, if the off watch is asleep or engaged in charts. As other have said, some boats seemed designed for use in marinas, or perhaps calmer and kindlier waters than the British Isles
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by E39mad View Post
    IIRC the Kelt 39 from the 1980's had the same layout
    That Kelt 39 looks to be an interesting layout & I quite like it. I would really like a yacht with a good view whilst sat in the saloon. Seem to be quite rare though.

Whats the forward double cabin like, anyone know?

Didnt Cornel he of ocean guides etc design a yacht with saloon and galley aft and all the sleeping accommodation forward one bonus off watch crew not disturbed by activity in the galley and sheet which activity..

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Didnt Cornel he of ocean guides etc design a yacht with saloon and galley aft and all the sleeping accommodation forward one bonus off watch crew not disturbed by activity in the galley and sheet which activity..
    I don't like the sound of that for sleeping. Our main cabin is up forward but when at sea we use one of the aft cabins as a hot bunk as the motion is much less there (and the off watch person is much closer to the on watch person for alerting, or just chatting through a problem without having to get out of bed.)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    My dear Navigator is delighted that our newer boat has galley in the pilot house, thus aft. Less far to carry tea without spilling in in a seaway. Less far to go to cook when whole boat is rolling like a fairground ride. Helmsman can even steer while keeping an eye of kettle, if the off watch is asleep or engaged in charts. As other have said, some boats seemed designed for use in marinas, or perhaps calmer and kindlier waters than the British Isles
    My LM has the galley in the wheelhouse. Kettle within arms reach of the helmsman when using the wheel ; or in sight and a few feet away with no intervening steps when using the tiller in the cockpit.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    My LM has the galley in the wheelhouse. Kettle within arms reach of the helmsman when using the wheel ; or in sight and a few feet away with no intervening steps when using the tiller in the cockpit.
    Mines an an LM27 - slower than our Westerly Pentland but nicer layout and suits this ageing sailor and his Navigator
    A boat is for going places

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123