Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default gloucester via canal

does anyone have difinitive info on depths please?
    would love to do the Easter trip but worried about stopping on the way and what is feasible at Gloucester.
    beam 3.7m draught 2.5, length 12.5m

thanks
    k

Default Re: gloucester via canal

I haven’t transited he canal for few years but quite big vessels use it.

The maximum boat size that can navigate the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal is:
    length: 213' (65 metres) - Bends in the canal (the lock at Sharpness is over 240' long)
    beam: 30' 5" (9.3 metres) - Fretherne Swing Bridge
    height: 124' 8" (38.0 metres) - Electricity pylons at Sandfield and Park End
    draught: 11' 6" (3.5 metres) - dredged channel on bridge approaches
    See also https://www.waterways.org.uk/gloucan..._boaters_guide
    Semper aliud

i know there was a large yacht trapped there last year due to silting and the depth near the banks are around 1m.
    so the question is can I raft up on the bank and is the docks clear yet?

https://www.google.com/search?q=glou...obile&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by Kerenza; 30-01-19 at 21:50. Reason: added link

Gloucester Docks currently being dredged. Average depth before dredging began 2 weeks ago was 1.4m!!
    Typical CaRT crisis method of management! Work expected to be completed mid March.
    Gloucester lock currently also out of action but should be fixed soon?
    I have a 50ft ketch with a beam of 4.5m and draught of 2.1m ( full bilge keel) currently at Sharpness waiting for CaRT to finish dredging the docks so I can move up to Gloucester for work on my boat by Tommy Nielsens yard.
    I do not anticipate any problems navigating the canal to Gloucester, much bigger boats than mine do it all the time.
    Although the depth of the canal can be as little as 1m at the edges, I have found that it quickly drops away and that the curving shape of my hull allows me to get alongside in most places.

thanks for some up to date ingo.
    i would infer that if I buddy up with someone I should be able to raft with them ad stop on the bank.
    transiting the canal I assumed wouldnt be a problem, but good to get that info.
    just leaves the parking in Gloucester, which seems to be work in progress,
    thanks again
    k

You can moor up just in the ship canal before Gloucester docks near supermarket and walk the rest of the way. We waited on the final bridge opening there. On our last visit it was only the far end of the inner dock that was silted. Didn't worry us as only draw 1m but some of the fin keelers touched putty so glad its being dredged. The trick as ever is to go dead slow if you think it might be too shallow, then retreat vigorously astern if you touch.
    A boat is for going places

Do you have a BSS certificate? Without I don't think you can make the transit.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    Do you have a BSS certificate? Without I don't think you can make the transit.
    BSS certificate not needed and done trip a dozen times, its theoretically an internationally accessible ship canal. You need licence from the Canal & River Trust and agree to the terms and make the appropriate declarations, pay the Sharpness lockmaster etc. It possibly be might be different if you were living aboard at the marina at Saul Junction

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    BSS certificate not needed and done trip a dozen times, its theoretically an internationally accessible ship canal. You need licence from the Canal & River Trust and agree to the terms and make the appropriate declarations, pay the Sharpness lockmaster etc. It possibly be might be different if you were living aboard at the marina at Saul Junction
    ! I applied in person at the office in Gloucester Docks and, despite my protestations, they declined to accept my application for a licence without the BSS certificate.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    ! I applied in person at the office in Gloucester Docks and, despite my protestations, they declined to accept my application for a licence without the BSS certificate.
    The Navigator thinks without a BSS there was a time restriction. Certainly as part of our trips from Portished CC or Lydney YC they didnt want separate certification for long Easter weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast