Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Bit Nippy in Shotley

whatís that number they use up in Geordie land equal...

Y II ?

Iíll get me coat ! ...
    "Work is the curse of the Drinking Classes" Oscar W.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    I never knew her as Letitia 111, but I remember when she was brought to Tollesbury by Roy Lewis in the early 70s. She had a for'ard wheelhouse, offset quite low on the starb'd side (IIRC), leaving the aft deck clear for handling the nets. His mate was Frank Dibley, and Paul Bloss and I were deckie learners. Blossy went on to the Ross boats out of Lowestoft and I got involved with both sorts of barges.

Letitia was bought by Michael Feather, one of my musician friends, in the mid 90s and he and his wife did a fine job converting her for use as a yacht, and were very active in the Old Gaffers at the time.
    The Feathers also had a lovely 12' Smacks boat when they had Letitia called Lettuce at the time, (now it's "Knot")- I had my Smacks boat modelled on Lettuce when built by Brian Kennell.

Quote Originally Posted by ianc1200 View Post
    (now it's "Knot")
    Oh yes it is!

Quote Originally Posted by ianc1200 View Post
    The Feathers also had a lovely 12' Smacks boat when they had Letitia called Lettuce at the time, (now it's "Knot")- I had my Smacks boat modelled on Lettuce when built by Brian Kennell.
    They're lovely, those smack's boats. IIRC, Brian Kennell produces(d) the 16' version, but the 14' model was the weapon of choice for the Cobmarsh Marathon. The reason it's on my mind is that one of the 14' moulds turned up in the yard at work in West Mersea last week and I was offered the use of it if I fancied laying up my own hull.

But, as I own more boats than is strictly necessary .........

Brian produces a 12' Smacks Boat, a very similar but longer, 14' Barge Boat, and recently he's been doing some rowing boats.

Going back to the subject of cold. Granddaughter turned up for a Uni team sailing event last week. The lake was frozen so they took a rescue boat out to beak the ice up enough to sail. I think I would have used the ice as an excuse not to go. They must be tougher these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    Going back to the subject of cold. Granddaughter turned up for a Uni team sailing event last week. The lake was frozen so they took a rescue boat out to beak the ice up enough to sail. I think I would have used the ice as an excuse not to go. They must be tougher these days.
    We used to do that at St Ives Sailing club "frostbite series" too. I've also been known to cut the spi halyard to drop it when the halyard turned into a huge icy blob around the cleat...
    Save someone's life ... https://www.mind.org.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Sea_Spray View Post
    We used to do that at St Ives Sailing club "frostbite series" too. I've also been known to cut the spi halyard to drop it when the halyard turned into a huge icy blob around the cleat...
    Some years ago my daughter sailed a 420. She came ashore at Rutland and the boat was half full of ice. The fog had been freezing on the sails and falling into the boat, it looked like a giant Slush Puppy. Didn't seem to put her off though>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123