Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Best place to dry out

Barry Old Harbour is nice and sandy. You dry outside the mole going in as far as you reasonably can, and I have several times done so to await tides and buy icecream ashore etc. Whats more its near Cardiff. Never dried out off Penarth

Avoid Minehead as muddy and nasty to walk through. Ilfracombe is better and I have used it for such tasks, Watermouth similar. Porlock is nice and its mud shallow but you need to watch boat does not catch the wharf step as it goes down.

PCC at Pill have a drying grid outside the clubhouse - I think it needs a 12.6 metre tide to get onto it. Again very muddy but at least its meant for the job
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    I should have mentioned boat is a bilge keeler.
    Never done it myself but I wonder if the bottom in the old Barry harbour (ie the bay immediately downstream of the harbour entrance) would be hard enough. The drying out posts at NUSC have a concrete pad underneath. On a suitably calm day, it might be possible to dry out on Penarth beach.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Never done it myself but I wonder if the bottom in the old Barry harbour (ie the bay immediately downstream of the harbour entrance) would be hard enough. The drying out posts at NUSC have a concrete pad underneath. On a suitably calm day, it might be possible to dry out on Penarth beach.
    Dried out just outside the mole in Barry Old Harbour on various occasions, and good firm sand as coming from Uphill or River Avon we got there about half tide. A bit silted up to go past the mole except at high tide, but there are small mobos in there.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch01527 View Post
    Any thoughts on Penarth Beach, near the pier for a boat that can take the ground? Looks like flattish sand/gravel.
    walking the dog on there last weekend, it looked a possible to me
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    walking the dog on there last weekend, it looked a possible to me
    I've dried out on Penarth beach. It's quite possible once you find a sandy bit at low tide. Opposite the cafe downstream was my choice, it was about 10 years ago. An irate official stopped me mid scrub to tell me beaching boats is prohibited, although I could not find any information in the local bylaws.

Why not try Sully pool. If you want to dry out fully, miss the deep bit. After scrubbing walk ashore to the Captain’s Wife for a sherbert. Take an inflatable though, tide comes in a bit quick. Don’t know if the boozer is still open, haven’t done the Sully booze cruise challenge since I’ve had a fin keeler.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12