Default Thames lock moorings

I found this thread on the Canalworld forum which I find somewhat worrying, especially as the facebook entry has been made just when EA folks go home (hoping that any flack might die down over the weekend??)

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/in...ames-moorings/

A slap in the face for Rex who has manfully operated a trial scheme for some time without much support (any ?) from EA.
    Interesting to note that the 'remote' non lockside moorings will be monitored by EA's launches.
    Oh yeah - how are they going to staff those on a regular basis, I wonder...

Default Re: Thames lock moorings

Standard public sector shite, they have to go to tender so as not to show favoritism.
    I agree, its been a good system and worked well for me.

I don't think the TVM scheme was entirely legal and the structure of the contract was a bit awkward.

This is not a statement of fact but I believe the EA were supposed to pay around £5000 per year to TVM even if they did nothing ie collected no mooring fees.

It also seems they were falling back on the District Enforcement parking fine company.

I know Steve at Henley had used DE as backup for things like regatta and the trad rally but at the end of the day it comes down to enforcement. River-wide enforcement of moorings can not work without having a lot of local enforcement. District Enforcement gives this impression but do they do it ? No.

For the hard of understanding ?

Is this the scheme were we were approached at Runnymede by a very amiable gentlemen who explained patiently about registering our arrival at any mooring.
    During our week on the Thames it appeared that the system had some effect simply by the number of moorings empty as we cruised the river.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    For the hard of understanding ?
    Is this the scheme were we were approached at Runnymede by a very amiable gentlemen who explained patiently about registering our arrival at any mooring.
    During our week on the Thames it appeared that the system had some effect simply by the number of moorings empty as we cruised the river.
    Yes it is. The trial ran from November 2016 for 12 months but has run on pending the EA issuing an invitation to tender for a river wide service and River user groups were assured that the current arrangements would continue until a contractor was appointed. We believe they are still working on the tender but remains to be seen if this will be settled before the boating season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    Yes it is. The trial ran from November 2016 for 12 months but has run on pending the EA issuing an invitation to tender for a river wide service and River user groups were assured that the current arrangements would continue until a contractor was appointed. We believe they are still working on the tender but remains to be seen if this will be settled before the boating season starts.

Thanks for that.
    Either the river was not very busy that week or the scheme was having some effect in persuading folks to keep moving.