Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mackerel

Default Re: Mackerel

Quote Originally Posted by TQA View Post
    A spritz of alcohol in the mouth or gills is an instant kill. I use the local strong rum.
    I didn't know that, good tip, thanks.
    Putting your finger in the mouth and breaking the neck is a fine idea on 2 lb mackerel but I would like to see it tried on a 50 lb wahoo or tuna.
    The chances of a 50lb anything on my tackle would be a miracle, but a good point
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

An interest thread, very informative

However, I can confirm without fear of contradiction that there are no mackerel in the Irish Sea.

That or Iím a really lousy fisherman......

The North West, either England, Wales or France

A Jif lemon makes a good vodka dispenser for fish dispatch. I like cooking the gutted fish whole with a few slashes in each flank for even cooking. The fresher the better, 15 minutes spinner to dinner is perfect.
    Don't bother trying above 5 knots: Streaming feathers off Lundy at 8knts resulted in bringing half a dozen mackerel jaws minus their owners aboard. Not a good result for anyone.
    And please don't over do it. There's nothing more depressing than seeing dozens of fish dumped in the sea after a big shoal has been located and caught for the sake of dubious sport.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 02-02-19 at 18:04.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    An interest thread, very informative

However, I can confirm without fear of contradiction that there are no mackerel in the Irish Sea.

That or I’m a really lousy fisherman......
    If there are mackerel there the you must be very healthy. Because, if you can't catch mackerel you couldn’t catch a cold!
    Just call me Dougal, Sir Dougal to you.

I find that if you cut the head off they die. Actually I tend to just cut the spine with a small knife behind the head if things are happening fast. I have the impression that removing the head and gills, gutting and bleeding them improves their quality. And they are delicious!

Quickly put them out of their misery by snapping the neck with a finger in their mouth and thumb on the back of their head.

Mackerel and many other fish carry parasitic worms so I wouldn’t eat them fresh or ceviche without first freezing them for a few days.

Don't cut the head off, just lie the fish on its side, place a sharp knife across the fish behind the gills, cutting down, almost to the backbone then run the blade along to the tail. There isn’t a simpler fish to fillet and leaving the head on gives something to hold. They're also one of the messiest fish with blood and scales going everywhere and sticking to skin for days to come.
    If you really want the fine pin-bones out, cut a “V” along the lines of the bones and lift them out.

Knob of butter garlic and fried bread ,it dont need all the other stuff

Gooseberry sauce is a good accompaniment.

Quote Originally Posted by Yealm View Post
    Sorry- a thick post..

Iíd like to catch/cook mackerel after an amazing evening aboard a friendís boat last year.

Iím a bit squaemish- never done this before - whatís the best way to kill the fish and then what ? - do you have to bleed it ? Or just slit down the belly and hoik out the guts? And then stick under the grill for 20 mins?

Thanks
    Tuna is bled.

I have a small Snowbee Smoker. Just gut the bar stewards, wash in salt water and smoke them as fresh as you can. 20 mins is usually enough and it will kill any residual parasites. I put the smoker on a tin tray with a 3mm polystyrene sheet glued to the base. This sits happily on my cockpit seating and doesn't scorch. Frying tends to stink out the boat below decks.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast