Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mackerel

Default Re: Mackerel

Quote Originally Posted by Yealm View Post
    I’d like to catch/cook mackerel after an amazing evening aboard a friend’s boat last year.
    If the mackerel are already a year old, I'd say they're beyond cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    And please don't over do it. There's nothing more depressing than seeing dozens of fish dumped in the sea after a big shoal has been located and caught for the sake of dubious sport.
    Sailing solo, I don't use feathers for that reason. I use a paravane streaming a Red Gill.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Not so sure about that - I seem to recall that Japanese sushi restaurants insist that mackerel is first frozen well down before using for sushi or sashimi. Something to do with worms in that type of fish I think.

Some chefs disagree, but as far as I know freezing such fish before eating is now mandated by European Law.

The LNG approach sounds a bit like Ceviche which, if you leave it in the juice long enough, is cooked by the action of the acid. Highly recommended with Couscous and a fruity salad for lunch or evening meal on a hot day but, as LnG says. you slice the mackeral into strips so you would hopefully spot any worms even if you didn't cook it for long.

The FAO offers this guidance but I wouldn't let any fussy eaters read it... http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5951e/x5951e01.htm

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_o_g View Post
    The FAO offers this guidance but I wouldn't let any fussy eaters read it... http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5951e/x5951e01.htm
    Tks for definitive link: to think of the number of raw mackerel we used to eat as kids with no more than a dash of lemon juice atop. No harm came of it, but having read your link...

...well I see what you mean about fussy eaters

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post

Mackerel can be eaten raw, so, kill it, gut it, slice strips off and dip some vinegar on it, or lemon. BBQ and grill/ shallow fry with dillis good, but a bit normal. Try covering with seasoned flour before shallow fry fo a crispy change. Can it too, even with some flavours in the jar. Mackerel with hoisin sauce in flaky pastry parcels..
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Not so sure about that
    Pedant alert

The fish will "cook" in the acid and so is not strictly raw.

/ Pedant alert
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Can anybody recommend a cheap filleting knife?

I had a look at the one they do in Lakeland, apart from it having oodles and oodles of packaging the blade did not look very flexible?
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Can anybody recommend a cheap filleting knife?

I had a look at the one they do in Lakeland, apart from it having oodles and oodles of packaging the blade did not look very flexible?
    Have a look at the Rapala range, they are very good.

When I lived in Falmouth I used to walk my labrador along to Pendennis Point and halfway along there used to be a sewer outlet that used to open on ebb tides … you could see from above, shoals of mackerel there in a feeding frenzy. I've never eaten mackerel since, in fact, apart from battered cod from the chippy, I never eat fish at all …

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Pedant alert
    The fish will "cook" in the acid and so is not strictly raw.

/ Pedant alert
    Good point, though it takes a bit of time. Aside from that and purely anecdotally Iím finding mackerel harder to catch these days - even during high season - whereas flat fish seem as plentiful as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher 5 View Post
    When I lived in Falmouth I used to walk my labrador along to Pendennis Point and halfway along there used to be a sewer outlet that used to open on ebb tides … you could see from above, shoals of mackerel there in a feeding frenzy. I've never eaten mackerel since, in fact, apart from battered cod from the chippy, I never eat fish at all …
    Do you eat meat or veg? Fields are often spread with manure.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast