Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mackerel

Default Re: Mackerel

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Do you eat meat or veg? Fields are often spread with manure.
    Yes thank you and very nice they are too! What it really comes down to is that I don't really like fish much and it gives me a good excuse not to eat the stuff! Ö.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Do you eat meat or veg? Fields are often spread with manure.
    I've never seen a bag of spuds in a feeding frenzy though... Mebby spuds and fish are different?

As for worms, in hundreds of fish I've gutted, I've only seen worms twice. From the ikky article linked above I guess if they aint in the guts, they aint in the flesh.
    Just call me Dougal, Sir Dougal to you.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    I've never seen a bag of spuds in a feeding frenzy though... Mebby spuds and fish are different?

As for worms, in hundreds of fish I've gutted, I've only seen worms twice. From the ikky article linked above I guess if they aint in the guts, they aint in the flesh.
    A lady fishing next to me on the town dock in Cedar Key, Florida caught a big-40 lbs-Red Drum or Redfish.

A passer by, a local fisherman suggested putting it back after taking a photo as the big ones always had worms in the guts and flesh.

The ladies husband declined and took the fillets off.

They were riddled with obscene almost transparent worms which appeared a few minutes after the fish was cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    You've not lived!
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Well, I doubt you've never gutted a cod or coley from the Minch then? You'll be lucky to find one in fifty without worm.

As for makerel, three cuts with a decent knife : first from tail to head stripping the dorsals. Next, in behind the gill and follow the spine to the tail for one fillet and third cut, as previous but on opposite side for fillet no. 2. Rinse, dab in flour and into frying pan of hot oil.
    Enjoy with fresh buttered bread and booze of your choice.

Why on earth would you use rum or vodka to kill a fish. I donít like vodka or gin. But I wouldnít by it to kill fish.

A quick belt on the head with a small wooden club. Does the trick. I used to use a hand line with feathers as a kid but preferred the fun of a small spinning rod and spinner. Catch a few to have fresh rather than a hundred to freeze.

Split down the back and fried in oatmeal. Fresh caught and fresh cooked is best. I had a few from Loch Dunvegan last summer.
    I like sushi and sashimi, the chances of parestites may be low but the consequences unpleasant. Blast frozen first.
    Last edited by Uricanejack; 04-02-19 at 03:27.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Some chefs disagree, but as far as I know freezing such fish before eating is now mandated by European Law.
    Ah. Suddenly it makes sense. The Greek fishing boats bobbing directly outside the Taverna where the menu says that all fish has been frozen before preparation. I didn't realise the law prevented us eating fresh fish...

These parasitic worms: if you’ve beheaded, sliced gently from anus and mouth to open the body cavity, scooped out organs and washed inside, are there realistically any left? No-one eats the organs, and you have to have been clumsy to pierce an organ (the intestine, say) while opening it. Anyone know about these?

Yuk! This thread has progressed from being interesting, amusing, helpful and informative to now being positively grotesque!

I made the mistake of clicking on the FAO link and read that European standards can allow up to 5 worms in 1 kg of flesh (although U.K. standards seem higher). Further that the little beggars can be up to 3mm dia and several centimetres long. They are killed by either freezing or cooking. So we have cooked worms on the menu. Not a delicacy to my taste.

Itís truly amazing what can be learned in a sailing forum.

We had salmon and prawn stir fry last night. My wife asked me why I was inspecting the salmon pieces before eating.

I sincerely hope that no one starts a thread about parasites in meat production or I may starve

Keep it alive in a very large bucket.. until you are about to cook.
    Send it to see it's maker and grill/fry straight away

A little lemon is good... but not necessary.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast