Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Changing the angle of the babystay

When built, my boat had a baby stay as part of the designed rig. A previous owner removed it and fitted instead two forward lower shrouds, complete with new chain plates. I wanted to play with a spinny and the forward lowers got in the way of the pole, so I reverted back to the baby stay. To my dismay, I found that the forward lowers provided much better support for the mast!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    The babystay on this boat is definitely a permanent part of the rig. There are no forward lowers.
    How tall is the rig? Masthead? Fractional?

It's a Moody 39- fairly short mast, deck stepped, masthead rig.
    I could ask on the MOA forum but thought it might not really be a boat-specific question.
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    It's a Moody 39- fairly short mast, deck stepped, masthead rig.
    I could ask on the MOA forum but thought it might not really be a boat-specific question.
    Could be worth asking them as someone else may have tried it.

It does sound like the baby stay is pretty important to your rig. With it being deck-stepped and masthead and nothing else supporting the middle section of the mast I'd be wary of the mast inverting in heavy weather or if you get caught out by a squall with the spinnaker up. So it would be very important that if you did move the baby stay that it was secure and strong enough to support the mast and wasn't going to be weakened by the change.

Thinking of this another way, I disliked the way the dinghy was stowed on the coach roof in front of the mast, it was too big to go in the locker. I therefore bought a smaller dinghy without a solid transom that folds away into the cockpit locker. It is not inconvenient to inflate and use, deflate and stow. Maybe it's the RIB that needs to be looked at.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

From a structural point of view, the increased angle would allow the same forwards pull on the mast for a lower wire tension. So the new babystay ought to be able to do its job. The thing that changes is the angle of pull at the mast. You may have to fit a different end piece on your wire; that might preclude it moving back to the original position. Sounds like the job for some sort of swivel. Additionally you would want to be sure that the mast can withstand the new pull direction. Given that you are aiming for the same horizontal force I see no reason for this to be a problem.

Obviously when rigging this you would need to slacken off the aft lowers before removing the babystay. You would then need a tension gauge to get all 3 back to correct tension (checking mast bend as you go).

I make these comments purely as a layman, I am not a rigger or naval architect.

Holy Smoke. Did the OP read my post above. The baby stay situation is a bad design error on moody boats and is discussed at length on MOA with some solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnitBlue View Post
    Holy Smoke. Did the OP read my post above. The baby stay situation is a bad design error on moody boats and is discussed at length on MOA with some solutions.
    You're in the wrong place if you expect people to pay attention to good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnitBlue View Post
    a baby stay solution used by some moody owners (described on the Moody Owners association website) is to add another sturdy mast tang a few feet higher then the original mast attachment than move the deck chain-plate (eye) to the anchor windlass well. This makes the new baby stay parallel with the forestay and can be used for a inner staysail it is good with a reefed main for windy conditions. Also space for a dinghy without fouling the anchor arrangements, It also solves the baby-stay deck lifting problem.
    Sorry I totally missed this post- it must have appeared as I was typing my own reply.
    If I understand correctly, this is a permanent alteration, not a movable one like I was proposing?
    Sounds extremely useful, certainly for a boat destined primarily for long distance passage making rather than short tacking.
    I've heard of a M41 being converted to forward lowers, which I think could be an excellent idea, but that is obviously a bigger project.
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    In that case, don't mess with it!
    The baby stay on my old Sadler 29 started to part after some years' use, which gave me the impression that it was doing a lot of work. When you think about it, there must be a lot of potential movement at the mast centre as the boat pitches into each wave, so I would agree with those advising OP not to meddle, at least not without careful assessment.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast