Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Fitting Charge Pressure Guage kit to KAD42

This seems to be an optional component to the instrument cluster rather than essential with these engines. Certainly mine did not come with it and the workshop manual shows the attachment of a portable unit through various Volvo adapters in the special tool section.

The cost will be about £600 to fit these kits to both engines which is just about palatable in lieu of having a marine engineer on for a day to check the pressure in a one off. However I have come across a bit of a problem.

Where the parts diagram shows the sensor screws in is already in use with a pipe leading down to the top of the fuel pump. Part 41 in the second picture (Air vent hose - inlet pipe regulator. There are no other holes in the manifold. Now what?

Last edited by BruceK; 03-02-19 at 19:23.

Default Re: Fitting Charge Pressure Guage kit to KAD42

Iíve certainly got the holes (with bolts in currently) in th intake manifold.

I had an idea to get some cheap analog gauges and some kind of reducer fitting so I can just read the gauge on the engine. Havenít got round to finding out the hole size or how small I would need to go for the gauge. Canít see it being more than £50 all in for both.

9009B008-722B-414C-B07C-193297215807.png
    Last edited by FARSCO; 03-02-19 at 19:28.

??? So where does your Part 41 in the second picture - Air vent hose - inlet pipe regulator from the top of the pump lead off too? That hose is only about 15cm long, not a lot of places for it to go.

From the Book of Words:
    For yours you will need Special tools: 949 402, 999 6065, 999 6666...
    Remove the plug/sensor installed in the intake pipe.
    Install the standard nipple 949 402 in the hole.
    Install nipple 999 6666 on the standard nipple.
    Connect manometer 999 6065.

So maybe I should be looking for a plug of sorts??
    Last edited by BruceK; 03-02-19 at 19:40.

Maybe 1A but there is nothing shown in the catalogue for whatever 1A is? 2 is described as a plug but where the inlet pipe regulator now goes.

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...26-20698B.aspx

Last edited by BruceK; 03-02-19 at 19:52.

you can save a lot of money by buying a VDO boost pressure gauge from Demon Tweeks and a spare Volvo blanking plug from Volvo peeps. Take all the bits to local machine shop and ask them to make an adaptor.
    Before you do this though make sure you are 110% happy with the fuel supply to the engines and the state of the charge air cooler and pipes. (And check your fuel valves all open % )

Bruce,

not familiar with your engine, but I'd expect that within the whole inlet manifold there must be a blank screw somewhere... Mine had a couple I just removed the bigger one, checked that it was indeed air inside it and just drilled and tapped the right size for the VDO sender I bought (must have been 50-70euro a pop)
    Then wired them to the dash and fitted matching gauges (had to find matching ones I think they were 90-100euro each).
    Or you just drill tap and fit a nipple thing and a longish pipe to the dash and buy a couple of analogue gauges for testing.

now since you do have this occupied hole, take the thing off, get the right thread bits and bobs and a tee and use that for both jobs! No drilling in this case, just matching the various threads and a bit of teflon tape.
    Struggle to see where the 600quid are tbh

V.

38029A7C-53F5-4904-9D4E-9045A9CB0592.jpg

949402 I would guess the inside is threaded.

Gauge into that
    Last edited by FARSCO; 03-02-19 at 20:00.

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    I will need to have another look at mine but as far as I can remember to this rather miserable afternoon that is exactly where part 41 went which incidently doesn't show anywhere on your photo.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    I will need to have another look at mine but as far as I can remember to this rather miserable afternoon that is exactly where part 41 went which incidently doesn't show anywhere on your photo.
    Hang on......

Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast