Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fitting Charge Pressure Guage kit to KAD42

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    Bruce,

not familiar with your engine, but I'd expect that within the whole inlet manifold there must be a blank screw somewhere... Mine had a couple I just removed the bigger one, checked that it was indeed air inside it and just drilled and tapped the right size for the VDO sender I bought (must have been 50-70euro a pop)
    Then wired them to the dash and fitted matching gauges (had to find matching ones I think they were 90-100euro each).
    Or you just drill tap and fit a nipple thing and a longish pipe to the dash and buy a couple of analogue gauges for testing.

now since you do have this occupied hole, take the thing off, get the right thread bits and bobs and a tee and use that for both jobs! No drilling in this case, just matching the various threads and a bit of teflon tape.
    Struggle to see where the 600quid are tbh

V.
    I dont know where the 600 quid goes either but I have to get 2 of:
    Sensor 866837 1 121,31
    Gasket 957181 1 1,16
    Front ring 858643 1 7,88
    Turbo pressure gauge 873205 1 152,03
    Bulb 863946 1 4,98
    Bulb socket 863945 1 8,73

I will certainly have a look at VDO sensors. If I know it will fit the hole and thread I will buy it as these gauges wont be in my instrument cluster for lack of space anyway. What I wont be doing is any drilling and tapping. I can be a bit kak-handed and if I fluff it man I will be crying in my hands as I buy a new extremely expensive manifold and then the Volvo gauges.

Red arrow is where the vacuum line goes to.

Blue arrow is where the gauge goes (bit obscured by the loom in that pic)

6D4FCC5B-EE61-4BB9-84CB-37E76FA09C55.jpg

Paul you are a gem!

Thank you sir. I shall take a skinny lunch tomorrow and whip it out and see if I can find a VDO sensor to fit ala Vas and save myself from the poor house.

Please let me know the sizes etc so I can do the same.

The volvo part is only 7 each....but the postage doubles it!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Paul you are a gem!

Thank you sir. I shall take a skinny lunch tomorrow and whip it out and see if I can find a VDO sensor to fit ala Vas and save myself from the poor house.
    Bruce, just googled the sensor serial # for images of it, and then a 2bar vdo.
    you do that and come and tell me that the penta ones are not vdo painted green and at x2 the price...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vo...nAY9p_lFMzorM:

vs

https://vdo-webshop.nl/en/pressure-s...8-27-nptf.html

it's your money, do as you wish

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    Bruce, just googled the sensor serial # for images of it, and then a 2bar vdo.
    you do that and come and tell me that the penta ones are not vdo painted green and at x2 the price...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vo...nAY9p_lFMzorM:

vs

https://vdo-webshop.nl/en/pressure-s...8-27-nptf.html

it's your money, do as you wish

V.
    Vas I have already said I would go for VDO as I couldn't get the gauges into my existing dash cluster so I dont have to worry about it all matching up. I am coming to realise that green paint must be very expensive after looking at turbo replacement prices for Borg Warner painted green and Borg Warner unpainted and a few other gems not excluding Ogura SC's. I have also found a nice site that seems to offer the sensor in all manner of threaded sizes so no tapping required with any luck. That is the only bit of your advice that scared me. The idea of tapping into my intake manifold was daunting. Too much risk for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    That is the only bit of your advice that scared me. The idea of tapping into my intake manifold was daunting. Too much risk for me.
    from the pics that FARSCO posted, it looks to me like there are more such bolts along the manifold, you could use any of them that's convenient (ie not have all the injection lines 20mm above it...).

Tapping into the manifold with the manifold in place is impossible, well it's possible, but what are you going to do with all the bits of alloy that fall down inside the manifold as you drill though? They are going to end up in the cylinders and that's not good at all.
    Actually never said tap i the manifold, but in a plug that bolts onto it

good luck, should be dead easy and safe to do!

cheers

V.

Dead easy for The Vas and dead easy for normal mortals are on completely different sliding scales. I have to look at something for a couple of hours in confusion until the penny drops because one thing I have learned about my boat is no job is ever simple. It took a whole day just to put in two trim ram pins which are a push fit because we couldn't get them to slide past the o-ring and the grease used to hydraulic them out was frozen to a hard paste. You could have doubled the size of the English thesaurus with the inventive curses employed yesterday.

Paul, the blanking plug is M18 by 1.5mm thread.

This is what we need:

Gauge housing
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Dou...53.m1438.l2649

Boost Gauge:

Item Name: Turbo Pressure Gauge
    Part Brand: VDO
    Part Number: A2C3833490001
    Color: Black
    Hole: 52 mm - 2 1/16"

Sender:
    Item Name: Pressure Sensor Insulated Return
    Part Brand: VDO
    VDO Part Number: 360-081-032-058C
    Range: 2 bar
    Dimension L1: 20.5mm
    Dimension L2: 12mm
    Thread Size: M18x1.5
    Maximum pressure: 30 bar 2 sec
    Operating temperature: -25 (degrees Celsius) to +100 (degrees Celsius)

Thanks for your help.

Final question

Does anybody know what the boost pressure should be? All the manual has to offer is to take readings above 3100 rpm at WOT to discount SC boost. No Tech data on what that boost reading should be.

1/4 NPT Female To M18x1.5 Male Reducer Oil Pressure Gauge Adapter Brass sump https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332453189111

1/8 NPT Female To M18x1.5 Male Reducer Oil Pressure Gauge Adapter Brass sump https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332453167716

Then buy a guage 1/4 or 1/8 npt off eBay. Loads of them for little money.

Could even go digital!

0-200PSI LCD Digital Tire Air Pressure Gauge Manometer For Car Truck Motorcycle https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192511978793

I think most senders are 1/8npt if it’s got to go in the dash.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast