Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thames or not

Default Thames or not

My O/h wants to move the boat to the Thames for the summer. After reading the thames forum on here Iím starting to wonder if there any point. Between lack of mooring ,slum boats apparently at every turn of the river, escalating cost everywhere it doesnít sound like a lot of fun. Should I bother?

Default Re: Thames or not

What boat do you have and where are you currently boating?
    Yes, it does seem as if itís dire but itís not that bad, really, and many of us thoroughly enjoy the non tidal Thames in spite of the odd difficulties.
    TMBA - Championing the non tidal Thames

We have a Broom 39 , which we keep on the Trent

Quote Originally Posted by towzer View Post
    My O/h wants to move the boat to the Thames for the summer. After reading the thames forum on here I’m starting to wonder if there any point. Between lack of mooring ,slum boats apparently at every turn of the river, escalating cost everywhere it doesn’t sound like a lot of fun. Should I bother?
    Best not. The less newcomers there are the more pleasant it is for those already there.
    "It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

Ignor all the moaning on here.
    Very few people post about the positives.
    Like most walks of life, most only post when they want to get something off their chest.
    Do come, it is beautiful.
    You,ll love it.

Very few of the regular moaners actually do any serious amounts of boating so ignore them, in real life the River is great, there are plenty of moorings and the handful of slum boats are no more intrusive than the odd Traveller filled lay-bys you occasionally see.

We cruised over 200 hours a year in recent years and have had very few lock failures, no issues with other boaters, cost price Diesel with MDL Marinas and most costs largely unchanged.

There are very few issues, just a very few people who use this forum to try and appear interesting

Look forward to seeing you if you're in or around Bray!

Quote Originally Posted by towzer View Post
    My O/h wants to move the boat to the Thames for the summer. After reading the thames forum on here I’m starting to wonder if there any point. Between lack of mooring ,slum boats apparently at every turn of the river, escalating cost everywhere it doesn’t sound like a lot of fun. Should I bother?
    "Doing" the Thames is something everybody should try once in their boating life.
    An opportunity not to be passed if the a chance arises.
    Unfortunately some of the local curmugeons tend to forget how fortunate they are and do tend to go on (and on ) a bit about the financial penalty of choosing to boat in just about the most expensive part of the country that you could possibly live.
    FX.....insert sounds of violins about here........
    It is also a excellent place to enjoy with friends and family.
    Personally the opportunity to come into the Thames from the estuary via central London is as good a reason to go as any other.

So much to do and so much to see.

...and you can pop up the Medway to see Oldgit on the way in and out

Absolutely the perfect boat for both the coastal bit and with the arch down, Windsor and beyond.
    Loads of online info about Thames.
    ....... and can recommend this.

http://www.pla.co.uk/New-Thames-guid...haves-for-2019

The free chart alone is worth the bother.

If you fancy pushing the boat out, St Kats marina is the place to break the journey (and the bank) or perhaps consider Queenbourgh to overnight break.
    Usual plan for most is, off Southend around low water and catch the flood , be it St Kats or direct onto Teddington
    Last edited by oldgit; 04-02-19 at 16:50.

I had a Broom 42cl on the non tidal Thames for a while before I moved to the coast. No problem but you do need to be able to easily drop the radar arch for bridges, ideally you need hydraulics.

As for the negatives you’ve read about, as with most rivers, the further up river you go the better it gets, although there are some gems like mooring outside Hampton Court which are a must.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast