Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The University of Oxford Has Created Conditions That Generate Freak Waves

Fascinating stuff and maybe a hint for Ocean Sailors on when conditions could increase the probability of freak waves.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2019-01-23-...at-wave’

The researchers found it was only possible to reproduce the freak wave when the crossing angle between the two groups was approximately 120 degrees.

When waves are not crossing, wave breaking limits the height that a wave can achieve. However, when waves cross at large angles, wave breaking behaviour changes and no longer limits the height a wave can achieve in the same manner.........

........ Experiments were carried out in the FloWave Ocean Energy Research facility at the University Of Edinburgh.

Dr Sam Draycott at the University of Edinburgh said: ‘The FloWave Ocean Energy Research Facility is a circular combined wave-current basin with wavemakers fitted around the entire circumference. This unique capability enables waves to be generated from any direction, which has allowed us to experimentally recreate the complex directional wave conditions we believe to be associated with the Draupner wave event.’
    Last edited by BlowingOldBoots; 03-02-19 at 23:33.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Default Re: The University of Oxford Has Created Conditions That Generate Freak Waves

Interesting. Thanks for sharing

Default Re: The University of Oxford Has Created Conditions That Generate Freak Waves

Apart from the thread title what has Oxford got to do with it? Spokesman and tank are at UoE.

I thought Oxford generated waves of freaks
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Back in Scotland, boat in Greece (Aegean)

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Apart from the thread title what has Oxford got to do with it? Spokesman and tank are at UoE.
    It was a result of collaboration between Oxford and Edinburgh.

I must admit that my first thought on reading the thread title was that we should petition them to stop doing it.

Full paper is at https://www.cambridge.org/core/servi...ssing_seas.pdf , which lists Dr McAllister as a member of the Engineering Science dept at Oxford; in 2017, he published a paper on a similar topic, https://www.cambridge.org/core/servi...ave_groups.pdf.

Looking at the difference in authors, it would seem that McAllister has just moved his work to Oxford, working in collaboration with his existing partners there & at the University of Western Australia, hence the introduction of a new contact at Edinburgh. Having visited the Oxford Dept. of Engineering Sciences (a truly hideous building), I seem to recall they were very proud of their wave dynamics research, so suspect they have assisted with some of the theory or simulation but not had the experimental resources of Edinburgh to back it up.

It's an Oxford project using a facility owned by Edinburgh university.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by weustace View Post
    Looking at the difference in authors, it would seem that McAllister has just moved his work to Oxford, working in collaboration with his existing partners there & at the University of Western Australia, hence the introduction of a new contact at Edinburgh. Having visited the Oxford Dept. of Engineering Sciences (a truly hideous building), I seem to recall they were very proud of their wave dynamics research, so suspect they have assisted with some of the theory or simulation but not had the experimental resources of Edinburgh to back it up.
    Unless things have changed radically, Oxford's experimental fluids stuff is almost all wind tunnels - they do a huge amount of research into gas turbine blades and particularly into cooling of them. Big wave tanks are very expensive, and scientists tend to share toys like that.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Scientists bah what would they know fiddling around adding up a few numbers and splashing about in a pond any idiot can see that the sea is bumpy for goodness sake there are people on this forum that could do all that without getting off their arses and not even knowing the slightest thing about it.

I blame Brexit, lawyers, Margaret thatcher and global warming.

If you read the short article it explains all. However, the research was carried out by the University of Oxford, they used a tank in Edinburgh that can generate waves from multiple directions, which is a rare thing, apparently.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast