Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Armchair Sailor

Default Armchair Sailor

Nothing is wrong with becoming an Armchair Sailor or perhaps there are many fellow forumites here who have decided many years ago to pack up sailing and become yachting spectators and peripheral sailors.

When I retire, which is very imminent, I will embrace retirement as much as I have embraced my professional career for over forty years. Like many here, I have been sailing since I was ten or so and I intend to carry on sailing for many many years; or not? because the question I am asking myself is; Is it inevitable that eventually we drift and we all become Armchair Sailor?

Default Re: Armchair Sailor

There's no need to get all mawkish when you've hardly even started. Most people don't realise that sailing is a geriatric sport and that working folk are only playing at it. Unless you are one of those layabouts who defer their pensions by going off round the world, retirement is the first time most of us get a chance to set off without constraints of time or even weather. I enjoyed holiday sailing with the family when I was working, with a maximum of three weeks at a time, but my cruising really only got going after retirement, when I got the chance to go as far as my inclination and wife would allow.

There was some film a on TV a year or two ago of a chap in his 90s setting off into the Solent on his own, and clearly very contented, so my advice is not to age yourself before it actually happens, or you will find that time passes too quickly.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

when I got the chance to go as far as my inclination and wife would allow.

That's the limiting factor for a lot of people. For the sake of inclusivity, maybe I should substitute spouse for wife as there are ladies of the (sail)cloth with reluctant husbands too.

I made the mistake once of thinking F4-6 South becoming Southwest was an OK forecast to bring my Sanpdragon 24 back from Weymouth to the Solent. We had a solid F7, which cost me every sailing brownie point I'd ever earned and Milady was a very nervous sailor afterwards. She was just starting to enjoy it again when moving house cost us one season, we got out just a couple of times in the next season, partly due to refurbishing the house and partly due to the weather, then I was seriously ill, which cost us another season. Such a long time with next to no sailing means she's now extremely nervous about going out again, even for just pottering around the Solent. Actually, so am I, as my illness has weakened me and I don't have the stamina I did.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    when I got the chance to go as far as my inclination and wife would allow.

That's the limiting factor for a lot of people. For the sake of inclusivity, maybe I should substitute spouse for wife as there are ladies of the (sail)cloth with reluctant husbands too.

I made the mistake once of thinking F4-6 South becoming Southwest was an OK forecast to bring my Sanpdragon 24 back from Weymouth to the Solent. We had a solid F7, which cost me every sailing brownie point I'd ever earned and Milady was a very nervous sailor afterwards. She was just starting to enjoy it again when moving house cost us one season, we got out just a couple of times in the next season, partly due to refurbishing the house and partly due to the weather, then I was seriously ill, which cost us another season. Such a long time with next to no sailing means she's now extremely nervous about going out again, even for just pottering around the Solent. Actually, so am I, as my illness has weakened me and I don't have the stamina I did.
    That's a sad story, and I'm not sure what the way around it is. The nearest I can get to a sensible suggestion is to move to a motor-sailor and enjoy fairly modest trips locally for a while. I am lucky in that my wife, sorry - spouse, has been content to go where my ambitions led me, and that I don't think that I have frightened her during the last nearly half-century. I suspect that you may also have to limit your ambitions. Maybe it would help to go on short trips on larger boats with friends. My own plans now have to be modified somewhat, partly through lack of stamina, as you say, but also because for various reasons my wife doesn't want to be away for as long or so far away.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

If I had the budget, we'd get a semi-displacement mobo, something like a baby trawler yacht, but there's a reason I bought a Snapdragon 24 instead of a Swan. Still, as someone said to us, with 28 HP under the bonnet, we've got a motor boat if we can't be bothered with sails.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Probably selling the boat and reviewing our life style now wife retired and not totally in good health.Owning a yacht especially a small one calls for lots of bending and twisting regarding the engine and strength regarding anchours etc.There are ways round problems so it’s a question of sitting down and sorting out a way to carry on......or adopt another activity.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    Is it inevitable that eventually we drift and we all become Armchair Sailor?
    No.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Probably selling the boat and reviewing our life style now wife retired and not totally in good health.Owning a yacht especially a small one calls for lots of bending and twisting regarding the engine and strength regarding anchours etc.There are ways round problems so it’s a question of sitting down and sorting out a way to carry on......or adopt another activity.
    Come on guys, it is precisely the bending twisting winching hauling that keeps bits of the body working. Stop doing it and the body quickly stops as well.
    Of course you could take up gardening instead - or as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    Come on guys, it is precisely the bending twisting winching hauling that keeps bits of the body working. Stop doing it and the body quickly stops as well.
    Well said!
    'To lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe' (EC Treaty)

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    Or squash, or all three

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast