Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Armchair Sailor

Default Re: Armchair Sailor

On my boat I cannot get at the fuel filter or the impeller on the cooling side so possible change would be a boatwith these things easy to get at.Certainly gardening would keep you fit but contortions once a year to fix the engine could put your back out for the season!

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    Nothing is wrong with becoming an Armchair Sailor or perhaps there are many fellow forumites here who have decided many years ago to pack up sailing and become yachting spectators and peripheral sailors.

When I retire, which is very imminent, I will embrace retirement as much as I have embraced my professional career for over forty years. Like many here, I have been sailing since I was ten or so and I intend to carry on sailing for many many years; or not? because the question I am asking myself is; Is it inevitable that eventually we drift and we all become Armchair Sailor?
    You don't stop sailing when you get old, you get old when you stop sailing (or motorcycling too in my case)

Trouble is, you might not remain in the armchair...

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    On my boat I cannot get at the fuel filter or the impeller on the cooling side so possible change would be a boatwith these things easy to get at.Certainly gardening would keep you fit but contortions once a year to fix the engine could put your back out for the season!
    Or alternatively you could probably pay for somebody to do an annual engine service for a decade or so, which could be a lot cheaper than changing boats.

Coming up to my mid seventies, I still do all the maintenance on my boat (including antifoul), and still go out single handed for the day, but gave up racing single handed a couple of years ago. Plenty of aches and pains, and donít have the strength that I used to have but Ďbuggeredí if Iím giving up the boat until I find I canít climb on board from the tender, then maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    Coming up to my mid seventies, I still do all the maintenance on my boat (including antifoul), and still go out single handed for the day, but gave up racing single handed a couple of years ago. Plenty of aches and pains, and don’t have the strength that I used to have but ‘buggered’ if I’m giving up the boat until I find I can’t climb on board from the tender, then maybe.
    +1, well early 70's in my case

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Or squash, or all three
    Dom
    Tomorrow, While you are keeping the wheels of industry oiled, I shall indeed do some gardening and play some squash. Afraid the nearest to sailing will be to plan anti foul servicing things. And to read the forum updates!
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Or alternatively you could probably pay for somebody to do an annual engine service for a decade or so, which could be a lot cheaper than changing boats.
    and it doesn't have to be a pro, you could get a boy scout to do it under supervision for bob-a-job
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    and it doesn't have to be a pro, you could get a boy scout to do it under supervision for bob-a-job
    Do they still do ‘bob-a-job’? Thought that had disapeared when the scouts adopted all their P.C. nonsense.

My user name reflects that I am oldest, and sometimes slowest, member of my climbing clubs, and I am now oldest member of staff in my office, though I note many forumites are much older than me. I see no reason to give up boats or sailing until I can no longer get from my tender to the cockpit and even then I will think of springtide only pontoon mudberth if possible. Sailing, walking and indeed working keeps you young.

Off course I am also an armchair sailor and enjoy the forum on the many days when I cant sail
    A boat is for going places

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast