Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Default Re: West coast of Scotland - is it cruising friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Midges (please not midgies) can only fly at 4mph, so realistically are seldom a problem when you're afloat.
    Midge is the effete English word. The Scots word is midgie. Cf "midgie-motor" (a municipal refuse collection vehicle in Glasgow).

There is probably an interesting random walk calculation to show how midgie density decreases with distance from the shore. In my experience you are pretty safe at 50 yards off, although the ones which fly out above the dinghy can take a while to disperse.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Midge is the effete English word. The Scots word is midgie. Cf "midgie-motor" (a municipal refuse collection vehicle in Glasgow).

There is probably an interesting random walk calculation to show how midgie density decreases with distance from the shore. In my experience you are pretty safe at 50 yards off, although the ones which fly out above the dinghy can take a while to disperse.
    Midgie is nonsense. Anyway, only real softies are put off by midges, the much more serious, and increasing problem is with Ticks. Midges are a temporary annoyance, whereas some ticks, even the tiny ones that you don't find until a couple of days later as an annoying itch being your knee, can carry Lyme Disease.

Lyme disease is serious, affects the central nervous system, and can have all sorts of nasty symptoms. Apparently, Cornwall and North Uist are particularly afflicted.

Little plastic claw-hammer devices, available from vets etc, are good for extracting the critters. If you do develop the classic "ringed target" on your skin, go and see a doctor. A specific antibiotic course will be prescribed, which should clear it up.

Midgie is nonsense. Anyway, only real softies are put off by midges, the much more serious, and increasing problem is with Ticks. Midges are a temporary annoyance, whereas some ticks, even the tiny ones that you don't find until a couple of days later as an annoying itch being your knee, can carry Lyme Disease.

Lyme disease is serious, affects the central nervous system, and can have all sorts of nasty symptoms. Apparently, Cornwall and North Uist are particularly afflicted.

Little plastic claw-hammer devices, available from vets etc, are good for extracting the critters. If you do develop the classic "ringed target" on your skin, go and see a doctor. A specific antibiotic course will be prescribed, which should clear it up.

That is actually a very good point - my partner was at an outdoor ed focused first aid course last month. The percentage of Lymes carrying ticks is increasing and thought to be in excess of 30% now. Also the red target mark doesn't always show up when contracted Lymes from a tick so cannot be taken to be a reliable indicator.

Loch Scresort st Rum saw the midges come out to our ship even though we were at anchor right in the middle of the bay.

It's only the female midge that is a problem.
    They look for a meal (blood) before mating.
    The male just look to mate.

Just like us.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Midgie is nonsense. Anyway, only real softies are put off by midges, the much more serious, and increasing problem is with Ticks. .
    If you think being deterred by midgies is soft, you clearly have not met the real thing. That said, I agree that ticks are an issue as well, and I carry a set of tick removers such as you described, just in case.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    ...only a fool or a masochist would head that way from south of 52 degrees N when the whole of Normandy and Brittany awaits in the other direction, ...
    Indeed, and and once one gets to Scotland, one might as well carry on: Iceland, Greenland, Svalbard all on your doorstep!

More seriously, I'm obviously weird as I turn N at Land's End pretty much every time. September and October are also fantastic times to cruise the W coast of Scotland. The weather is often beautiful and the midges (which don't really reach you if at anchor) have gone.
    Last edited by jdc; 05-02-19 at 13:54.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    eptember and October are also fantastic times to cruise the W coast of Scotland. The weather is often beautiful and the midges (which don't really reach you if at anchor) have got.
    Good point. I haven't had much luck in Septembers, but Octobers can be lovely, although often quite cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Minchsailor View Post
    +1, +1, +1.

Stornoway, and possibly Lochboisdale (although I have not visited recently) afford decent shelter. Lochmaddy I would not consider in any sort of a blow. East Loch Tarbert is pretty grim next to the ferry berth, and untenable with wind with any east in it. The pontoon at North Harbour Scalpay is far preferable, but you have to accept the 'facilities' there are pretty limited.
    Stornoway is great, and the 'new' marina for the locals will make it better; Lochboisdale has great facilities & Lochmaddy is slightly challenged I'd say, also I've never seen it in a blow. East Loch Tarbert I like a lot, with the village being so close and good. I was there in a small Easterly, and wasn't too bothered, nor found the ferry an issue. My wife and her sisters have kept their family house there, so it's difficult to slag off, and it's handy for dhobi! Scalpay is undoubtedly a better shalter, PLUS it's got the BISTRO, which has the best food that I've ever tasted, anywhere, but hasn't got anything else really!
    Midge aren't really a problem for me, as they hardly drink anything.
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Quote Originally Posted by jamie N View Post
    PLUS it's got the BISTRO, which has the best food that I've ever tasted, anywhere ...
    Try Ballygown on Mull. Good anchorage, though a bit exposed to the south, directly outside the restaurant.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast