Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default West coast of Scotland - is it cruising friendly?

Hi,
    I recently took a closer look to west coast of Scotland and I wonder if it is friendly to cruising? Looks like it should be well sheltered by Islay, Inner and Outer Hebrides from the Atlantic waves, but is it so? Is weather there friendly for crusing in smaller yacht (say up to 30 feet), or its still rough place? I am not planning to go there anytime soon, just want to know where I should place it in my sailing TODO list.

Default Re: West coast of Scotland - is it cruising friendly?

The West Coast probably has some of the best cruising ground of anywhere. However, the weather can at times be challenging. This is offset by the fantastic number of safe and sheltered anchorages. Quite a few of the busier places now have visitor's moorings, and even pontoons, but be aware that many of these are not sheltered in all wind directions. Your 30 footer will be fine.

Friendly? The natives can be bit hairy.

IF the weather is good it is a fine cruising ground. More realistically, only a fool or a masochist would head that way from south of 52 degrees N when the whole of Normandy and Brittany awaits in the other direction, not to mention S & W Ireland to the right

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    IF the weather is good it is a fine cruising ground.
    Thatís a very big if...

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

IF the weather is good it is a fine cruising ground. More realistically, only a fool or a masochist would head that way from south of 52 degrees N when the whole of Normandy and Brittany awaits in the other direction, not to mention S & W Ireland to the right
    +1!

Last time we were there it was 7 degrees C in mid July.

It was cool and damp-even, as the locals say, soft-in South and West Ireland the following couple of seasons, but never that cold.

We would have liked to have seen the beautiful Scottish scenery when we were there, but it was mostly a rain sodden blur.

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post

It was cool and damp-even, as the locals say, soft-in South and West Ireland the following couple of seasons, but never that cold.

We would have liked to have seen the beautiful Scottish scenery when we were there, but it was mostly a rain sodden blur.
    Wrong time of year! The best weather is nearly always mid May to mid June. After that it goes continually downhill until the following Easter.
    Andersen 22. The best winch never made.
    miniwinwm.wixsite.com/miniwinwm

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    +1!

Ignore the nay sayers. Everywhere has its own charms and downsides. Remember rain and wind keep the midges grounded. Although I would thank them as it keeps it quieter for us in the know.

Jumbleduck certainly makes the most important point regarding the west coast and I have applied since a few years after starting sailing, 'The Plan'. Our sailing plan either for the weekend or summer cruise is always just 'that way' (pointing wistfully north westish). Like in the old days, so I'm told, you go with the weather and tide which can take you to places you never knew existed or looked dull on the charts. That way you are never disappointed or frustrated.

It took us 5 years of thinking about it to finally get to St Kilda last summer. We ere never disappointed the other four when we thought about it just had other adventures.

One year we got to the south end of Lismore. The usual summer weather was sitting over the UK with the forecast for the week unchanging. Decision time, NW to Tobermory and rain or NE through the Cally Canal to the Moray Firth and a week of sun with totally new and different places. The Canal is worth a holiday on its own.

Come up, enjoy the scenery, weather, tides, remoteness, hostelries and wildlife (locals included). You wont be disappointed.
    Last edited by ctva; 05-02-19 at 08:08.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

...only a fool or a masochist would head that way from south of 52 degrees N when the whole of Normandy and Brittany awaits in the other direction, ...
    Indeed, and and once one gets to Scotland, one might as well carry on: Iceland, Greenland, Svalbard all on your doorstep!

More seriously, I'm obviously weird as I turn N at Land's End pretty much every time. September and October are also fantastic times to cruise the W coast of Scotland. The weather is often beautiful and the midges (which don't really reach you if at anchor) have gone.
    Last edited by jdc; 05-02-19 at 13:54.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    eptember and October are also fantastic times to cruise the W coast of Scotland. The weather is often beautiful and the midges (which don't really reach you if at anchor) have got.
    Good point. I haven't had much luck in Septembers, but Octobers can be lovely, although often quite cold.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast