Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Default Re: West coast of Scotland - is it cruising friendly?

It can be awful. We had to clear out of Loch Resort, on the west coast of Lewis, because it was unbearably hot at 27C.

Speaking as a foreign visitor to Scotland, as I presume the OP is too, I would put it firmly at the top of my list. When I did a trip round Britain a few years ago, I spent 7 weeks on the West Coast of Scotland. It is truly stunning and awe-inspiring and I felt that I had barely scratched the surface. I could easily spend a lifetime sailing there without ever getting bored.
    What the locals have said about the weather is correct, but if you take your time and adapt your plans to the weather, it is perfectly feasible.
    In over 30 years of cruising I have seen most of the coasts between Vigo, Spain and Oslo, Norway, and Scotland is by far my favourite. In all fairness I have to add that the S and W coasts of Ireland and the fjords of Norway are still on the to do list.

'Ani fule can be wet and uncomfortable on a boat'.

There's a vast selection of anchorages and acheingly scenic bays and coves. The views are memorably beautiful.... when you can see them.

As one who has cruised that way more than a few times - and spent a week hanging on a club mooring at Oban, rain incessant, venturing out only to bale out the dinghy - I can recommend identifying, from the CCC Directions and here, those good anchorages which have a decent hotel attached, to which one can repair of an evening.... dry out, have a civilised meal, a chinwag, and a 'recommendation' from the selection of optics.

Gigha and Isle Ornsay come to mind. Mark 'em on your chart. I'm certain others will chime in......

Take plenty of Deet if you can't get the Avon stuff (Skin so-soft I think) if the midges are out but, as above, most of all make sure your boat is well sorted for cool weather and lots of rain. If you're set up to be able to operate reasonably comfortably during 2 or three days of rain and no drying weather for a week or two then it's brilliant but a boat that hasn't got somewhere to dry things inside and a cabin that fills with condensation as soon as you put the heating on then you're probably in for a miserable time. There's a reason so many boats have wheelhouses up there.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    IF the weather is good it is a fine cruising ground. More realistically, only a fool or a masochist would head that way from south of 52 degrees N when the whole of Normandy and Brittany awaits in the other direction, not to mention S & W Ireland to the right
    +1!

Last time we were there it was 7 degrees C in mid July.

It was cool and damp-even, as the locals say, soft-in South and West Ireland the following couple of seasons, but never that cold.

We would have liked to have seen the beautiful Scottish scenery when we were there, but it was mostly a rain sodden blur.

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post

It was cool and damp-even, as the locals say, soft-in South and West Ireland the following couple of seasons, but never that cold.

We would have liked to have seen the beautiful Scottish scenery when we were there, but it was mostly a rain sodden blur.
    Wrong time of year! The best weather is nearly always mid May to mid June. After that it goes continually downhill until the following Easter.
    Andersen 22. The best winch never made.
    miniwinwm.wixsite.com/miniwinwm

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    IF the weather is good it is a fine cruising ground. More realistically, only a fool or a masochist would head that way from south of 52 degrees N when the whole of Normandy and Brittany awaits in the other direction, not to mention S & W Ireland to the right
    Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    +1!

Ignore the nay sayers. Everywhere has its own charms and downsides. Remember rain and wind keep the midges grounded. Although I would thank them as it keeps it quieter for us in the know.

Jumbleduck certainly makes the most important point regarding the west coast and I have applied since a few years after starting sailing, 'The Plan'. Our sailing plan either for the weekend or summer cruise is always just 'that way' (pointing wistfully north westish). Like in the old days, so I'm told, you go with the weather and tide which can take you to places you never knew existed or looked dull on the charts. That way you are never disappointed or frustrated.

It took us 5 years of thinking about it to finally get to St Kilda last summer. We ere never disappointed the other four when we thought about it just had other adventures.

One year we got to the south end of Lismore. The usual summer weather was sitting over the UK with the forecast for the week unchanging. Decision time, NW to Tobermory and rain or NE through the Cally Canal to the Moray Firth and a week of sun with totally new and different places. The Canal is worth a holiday on its own.

Come up, enjoy the scenery, weather, tides, remoteness, hostelries and wildlife (locals included). You wont be disappointed.
    Last edited by ctva; 05-02-19 at 08:08.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    Marinas start to get thin on the ground as you head further north...
    ... until reaching the Ooter Hebrides where they are all over the place now.. Stornoway, Lochmaddy, Lochboisdale, East Loch Tarbet.
    Andersen 22. The best winch never made.
    miniwinwm.wixsite.com/miniwinwm

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_o_g View Post
    Take plenty of Deet if you can't get the Avon stuff (Skin so-soft I think) if the midges are out ...
    We find that Smidge works very well.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    ... until reaching the Ooter Hebrides where they are all over the place now.. Stornoway, Lochmaddy, Lochboisdale, East Loch Tarbet.
    At least they act as honey pots, leaving the anchorages quieter.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast