Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Default Re: West coast of Scotland - is it cruising friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    You think they'd stand for that in Cornwall?
    The water is likely too warm in Cornwall.
    Sea lice and other parasites reproduce at a rate dictated by sea temperature.

As to your other comment about the fish poo killing off the loch... every day creel boats circle the farm I work on, they catch the best prawns as close to the cages as they dare go- the only problem for them is that their gear gets tangled up.

I'm no company man and I think there are many things that could be done better, but much of the negative portrayal of aquaculture is badly misinformed. For example, we are experiencing the lowest levels of sea lice seen in the last seven years, thanks mostly to the adoption of wrasse and lumpsucker fish, as well as mechanical treatment methods that have been developed recently.

There is also a drive to move farms into more open and deeper water, to reduce the impact on the environment. The limit here is trying to keep the moorings and cages intact in the sea conditions experienced offshore. It's not easy, and there are setbacks, but progress is being made and the results continue to improve.
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post

As to your other comment about the fish poo killing off the loch... every day creel boats circle the farm I work on, they catch the best prawns as close to the cages as they dare go- the only problem for them is that their gear gets tangled up.

I'm no company man and I think there are many things that could be done better, but much of the negative portrayal of aquaculture is badly misinformed. For example, we are experiencing the lowest levels of sea lice seen in the last seven years, thanks mostly to the adoption of wrasse and lumpsucker fish, as well as mechanical treatment methods that have been developed recently.

There is also a drive to move farms into more open and deeper water, to reduce the impact on the environment. The limit here is trying to keep the moorings and cages intact in the sea conditions experienced offshore. It's not easy, and there are setbacks, but progress is being made and the results continue to improve.

well put

Modern aquaculture practices are indeed much improved - the problem is you are blighted by the reputation gained by the malpractice of the past. That said - there are plenty of disbanded farms cluttering up lochs with not much in the way of intent either by the (probably bankrupt) owners or the authorities.
    Claymore

Kelpie
    What do the cages look like underwater? Where I sail in Turkey we often pass fish farms in waters of 50 metres or so depth. We see the surface stuff but never what is happening below. Any diagrams?
    Peter

The salmon cages in Glenarm Bay are well off shore, far enough to worry a navigator in poor visibility, the owners made a big thing of locating them so far out. One year, a cage was breached, I can not remember how but they were certainly vulnerable to a collision. The fish made for the Glenarm river, not a very large watercourse, every man and his dog around North Antrim headed for the river. The Dept. of Agricultures bailiffs turned up and started taking names and car registrations. Several people were prosecuted and fined, I am not sure why because the same bailiffs have always preached about the risk of farmed salmon getting in to the rivers and the folk extracting them were surely mitigating that. But in rural Ireland the landlord/serf relationship as never been better than paternal.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    The salmon cages in Glenarm Bay are well off shore, far enough to worry a navigator in poor visibility, the owners made a big thing of locating them so far out. One year, a cage was breached, I can not remember how but they were certainly vulnerable to a collision. The fish made for the Glenarm river, not a very large watercourse, every man and his dog around North Antrim headed for the river. The Dept. of Agricultures bailiffs turned up and started taking names and car registrations. Several people were prosecuted and fined, I am not sure why because the same bailiffs have always preached about the risk of farmed salmon getting in to the rivers and the folk extracting them were surely mitigating that. But in rural Ireland the landlord/serf relationship as never been better than paternal.
    Alas the Salmon belong to some one and to take them is illegal , just like taking fallen wood from a farmers field

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    Alas the Salmon belong to some one and to take them is illegal , just like taking fallen wood from a farmers field
    If they were taken from the sea on their way to the river, who owns them there, once they are out of the cage they are fair game, why prosecute folk for doing something that the bailiffs should have done in the first place, they would have been better employed getting a net across the river mouth though that might not have been as much fun for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    If they were taken from the sea on their way to the river, who owns them there, once they are out of the cage they are fair game, why prosecute folk for doing something that the bailiffs should have done in the first place, they would have been better employed getting a net across the river mouth though that might not have been as much fun for them.
    That would like be saying all sheep that wander across the Scottish mountains are free game ,if they wander outwith the farmers land
    The law will clearly state that they are not wild Salmon and they have escaped , also their may have been fishing rights on the river , again this is the law , It would be hard to prosecute in open Sea but as the Salmon would be easily identifiable against wild salmon and heading fr a river , were lots of people were gathering to grab them , kinda gives the game away.
    Someone some were owns something and the law is pretty clear on that

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    But do escaped farmed salmon belong to the farmer or to the owners of the fishing rights in the river to which they escape?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    But do escaped farmed salmon belong to the farmer or to the owners of the fishing rights in the river to which they escape?
    Now theres a question
    Love to be a lawyer arguing that one

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast