Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 ... LastLast

Default Re: West coast of Scotland - is it cruising friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    For those unfortunate enough to find a tick has become attached to their skin and dont have a removal device about their person the following might help. Working dog people cover said offensive insect with vaseline when found on their dogs. Ticks breath through their bodies-cover the breathing ports and they die. After half an hour or so, detach with tweezers, twisting slightly as you pull to ensure the head comes away. If the head-or any part-remains-it can go septic quite quickly.
    Do not deal with ticks by coating them with vaseline. It will kill them and they will drop off. The crucial thing however, is to get rid of them in a way which does not cause them to disgorge their contents into you. Physical removal with special tick removal tools is the recommended method. I've done it with fingernails when no tweezers available. I gather that a thread around the tick as close to the skin as possible is a makeshift alternative. A problem when sailing is that we don't really get that much chance to strip off for a tick inspection.

The good news - I met a chap last year who said he had about 80 ticks in 2017 and no lyme disease.

But, just to stress, medical advice is STRONGLY against the vaseline method as it encourages disgorging of saliva and stomach contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Amulet View Post
    Do not deal with ticks by coating them with vaseline. It will kill them and they will drop off. The crucial thing however, is to get rid of them in a way which does not cause them to disgorge their contents into you. Physical removal with special tick removal tools is the recommended method. I've done it with fingernails when no tweezers available. I gather that a thread around the tick as close to the skin as possible is a makeshift alternative. A problem when sailing is that we don't really get that much chance to strip off for a tick inspection.

The good news - I met a chap last year who said he had about 80 ticks in 2017 and no lyme disease.

But, just to stress, medical advice is STRONGLY against the vaseline method as it encourages disgorging of saliva and stomach contents.
    ohhhhhhh i was eating my dinner when I read this , but good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    Kelpie
    What do the cages look like underwater? Where I sail in Turkey we often pass fish farms in waters of 50 metres or so depth. We see the surface stuff but never what is happening below. Any diagrams?
    Peter
    I don't have a diagram but will try to describe the cages I am familiar with.
    Each one is about 33m in diameter, and forms a cylindrical shape with a maximum depth of about 25m. About six metres underwater, a mooring grid connects all of them together, with chains leading off to moorings surrounding the farm- these are generally marked by buoys. Best practise for any boats in the area is to stay outside of these buoys. Whilst it is deep water right up to the cages, there can be various bits of rope on the surface which the guys on the farm will know about but which will be invisible to anybody who isn't looking for them.
    There are also plastic pipes connecting the cages together, these carry mains voltage electricity and also the air-blown feed for each pen- best not to hit these in a boat! They are generally located right within the group of cages so anybody simply passing by wouldn't have anything to worry about.
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    But do escaped farmed salmon belong to the farmer or to the owners of the fishing rights in the river to which they escape?
    Bit of a moot point in my experience... fish that have spent their whole lives feeding inert pellets are going to struggle to catch food in the wild, and there are plenty of seals circling every farm just waiting for an easy meal... I would be amazed if escaped salmon lasted even one week in the wild...
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

.... A problem when sailing is that we don't really get that much chance to strip off for a tick inspection .....
    Mmmmm.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

A problem when sailing is that we don't really get that much chance to strip off for a tick inspection.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    Mmmmm.
    Tick. With a "t".

Otherwise it's a different sort of cruising altogether, and the phrase "West Highland cottage" takes on an entirely new meaning.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    Alas the Salmon belong to some one and to take them is illegal , just like taking fallen wood from a farmers field
    I very much doubt that.
    Wood on his property is his, just like pheasants. Removal from there is theft. Off his property is another matter entirely.
    These things only belong to someone whilst they remain on his property. When my neighbour's pheasants come onto my land they become mine, not his.
    Those bailiffs couldn't prove who, if anyone the escaped salmon once belonged to unless they were tagged so theft cannot be an issue. However they probably did have the power to deal with illegal/unlicenced taking of fish which is somewhat different.
    Last edited by Old Bumbulum; 09-02-19 at 13:13.

A fish farmer was overheard "I call my dog SEPA because he does what I tell him.

*SEPA Scottish Environment Protection Agency"

My point is not really about ownership, the Dept. that did the arresting and prosecuting declare that farmed fish are a real danger to wild fish and to their habitat if they escape, perhaps they overstate their case? The folk who removed the farmed fish were providing a service to the community and the environment though I doubt if that was their primary motive.
    Just had lunch of hot smoked salmon and salad, very tasty, (salmon trimmings from the smokery, great value) so I would be a hypocrite to oppose salmon farming.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    My point is not really about ownership, the Dept. that did the arresting and prosecuting declare that farmed fish are a real danger to wild fish and to their habitat if they escape, perhaps they overstate their case? The folk who removed the farmed fish were providing a service to the community and the environment though I doubt if that was their primary motive.
    Just had lunch of hot smoked salmon and salad, very tasty, (salmon trimmings from the smokery, great value) so I would be a hypocrite to oppose salmon farming.
    I suppose in that case the fish farm need to be prosecuted for allowing their fish to escape and pollute he river .
    Salmon are very unique in that they return to the river they were spawned, so it would be unusual for them to try and get into a fresh river after being in the sea.
    Maybe there GPS was wonky

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 ... LastLast