Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Default Re: West coast of Scotland - is it cruising friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    Bit of a moot point in my experience... fish that have spent their whole lives feeding inert pellets are going to struggle to catch food in the wild, and there are plenty of seals circling every farm just waiting for an easy meal... I would be amazed if escaped salmon lasted even one week in the wild...
    Iíve sailed by many fish farms and never seen seals about. From what Iíve heard, they are seen off by farm staff, often with rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    I very much doubt that.
    Wood on his property is his, just like pheasants. Removal from there is theft. Off his property is another matter entirely.
    These things only belong to someone whilst they remain on his property. When my neighbour's pheasants come onto my land they become mine, not his.
    Those bailiffs couldn't prove who, if anyone the escaped salmon once belonged to unless they were tagged so theft cannot be an issue. However they probably did have the power to deal with illegal/unlicenced taking of fish which is somewhat different.
    Not at all Pheasants are wild animals and are game birds , if the owner could prove that he raised the pheasants and released them for sport there is an issue over ownership . as they could be tagged.
    A fish farm is clearly the owner of the fish and can be easily recognized to other wild Salmon as they will be in a different phase of life
    If a sheep truck carrying a load of sheep overturned on the motorway and the sheep ran everywhere it would be illegal
    to grab a sheep and put it into you boot , unless you have some wellies
    This is the same as so called wild deer , if your dog chases wild deer , there is no law stopping this as they are wild , if your dog chases deer on the hillside and they are managed by the estate for shooting , and they can prove the herd is officially owned , you dog is disturbing livestock
    The law is perfectly clear on this matter if something was owned , escaped , ran , away, picked up , it still belongs t the owner if they can prove ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataji View Post
    I’ve sailed by many fish farms and never seen seals about. From what I’ve heard, they are seen off by farm staff, often with rifles.
    Seals are protected in Scotland and it is against he law to disturb or move them especially the young, but Fish farms do have a license to shoot them if they are close , but they must have other ways the deter the seals as the shooting is the last resort, but I could imagine there are rogue shooters out there

I believe I read recently, that Scottish fish farms shot nine seals in the past year, which they are licensed to do, if the seals are presenting a danger to their cages. When you consider the huge and growing population of seals in Scottish waters, nine doesn't sound like a big loss. To give some perspective, I have seen 800 of the brutes lying on a single beach on the Monachs. Yes, I counted them.

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    If a sheep truck carrying a load of sheep overturned on the motorway and the sheep ran everywhere it would be illegal
    That is because sheep are livestock. Pheasants are not - they are explicitly excluded from the definition of livestock in The Agriculture (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1968 (Ch 34) and so it doesn't matter what tags you put on them - they belong to the landowner.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

This is getting back to the schooldays, "If your next-door neighbour's peacock lays an egg in your garden, who does the egg belong to?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mataji View Post
    I’ve sailed by many fish farms and never seen seals about. From what I’ve heard, they are seen off by farm staff, often with rifles.
    And I spend 40hrs a week on fish farms and I see seals every day.
    By the way no seal has been on shot on the site I work at in the time I have been there. But yes it does happen on some sites, after the farm manager has climbed a mountain of paperwork and implemented every other deterrent known to man.
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    This is getting back to the schooldays, "If your next-door neighbour's peacock lays an egg in your garden, who does the egg belong to?"
    Peacock??? Very different school...
    Just call me Dougal, Sir Dougal to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    Lovely thread drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    OK, hens then??

I would have anything left on my side?

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 ... LastLast