Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617 LastLast
    Usually South Coast but now West Coast of Scotland

Default Re: West coast of Scotland - is it cruising friendly?

Yes, Loch Torridon for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Did you not know that they tried that on nearly every river in Scotland, fish are not easy to train. Round here many of the cages contain halibut, enormous fish that command an enormous price.
    Experts know the life cycle of pretty much every fish and I feel sure they could be fished in their natural habitat, having increased numbers by breeding young fish before release.
    I guess you are another who cares little about the horrible lives in captivity of these poor animals.

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    Yes, Loch Torridon for a start.
    Loch Torridon is very large and I know it's not blocked by fish farms, would you supply more details? There may be a case that can be presented if they are blocking historical anchorages.

A quick look at Google Maps, Satellite view suggests that all the popular anchorages are still free.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Experts know the life cycle of pretty much every fish and I feel sure they could be fished in their natural habitat, having increased numbers by breeding young fish before release.
    I guess you are another who cares little about the horrible lives in captivity of these poor animals.
    There are salmon hatcheries in Alaska which operate in the way that you suggest. A different species of salmon obviously. The fishery is very regulated, and a levy from every fish caught goes back to the hatcheries. So yes, in theory it can be done, but presumably the industry has determined that in Scottish, Norwegian, and Chilean waters, cages give a better return.

In answer to your second point, no, I don't feel anything for the caged salmon, or for sheep or cattle on the hill. Should I, and what's that to do with sailing on the glorious West Coast?

South side, upper loch Torridon, October 2018. We anchored on the North side but our original plan was to anchor in one of the nice little anchorages over hill from Sheildaig.

Yep,you got it, I am a hypocrite, gorging on salmon every week these days and pleased it is so cheap, when I was a kid my brother the angler only managed to wrestle one out of the river about once in two years. It is the farmed mussels I should really feel sorry for, clinging on to a piece of rope for the whole of their life and haviing to eat anything that passes, the salmon have it much better, get to swim around the cage as much as they like, hang out with their mates and food brought to them every day.

South side, upper loch Torridon, October 2018. We anchored on the North side but our original plan was to anchor in one of the nice little anchorages over hill from Sheildaig.
    They are mussel farms and they do stretch right across the loch in multiple rows blocking access to an anchorage. Chart 2210 Approaches to the Inner Sound shows dashed lines right across the mouth of the two small inlets with the mussel farms. The dashed line means "maritime limit in general, usually implying permanent physical obstructions" (Section N Chart 5011). It looks like they have a right to block off the area assuming the chart information is a reflection of that right.

For reference when others come across this thread, Map of Fishfarms, posted on another thread http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...sel-Farms-etc)
    Last edited by BlowingOldBoots; 10-02-19 at 14:28. Reason: Link added
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Nope, it was a fish farm.

Okay, but it looks like a mussel farm, in 4 rows stretched across the loch in Google Earth Satellite view, also it is stated as a shell fish site on the Aqua Culture map. Perhaps this data is old and they have been replaced by fish farms, you were there, I was not. The Loch Spelve Mussel Farms also look similar to fish farms, in some aspects.

I think we have to accept that there will always be some limits as to where we can anchor. I've been at it a long time now, and can think of places where we used to anchor, and are now full of moorings for boats. It's not something to complain about, it just means that people are living there, and some of them have boats. Surely it's the same with fish farms, unless you think you have some God given precedence over local people. Come on, there is no shortage of good anchorages.

If the places that you are thinking of in Upper Loch Torridon, are Ob Gorm Mor and Ob Gorm Beag, they have had mussel ropes for at least 40 years. My recollection is that OBG is pretty much blocked, but OGM you can get in past the east side of the lines into a nice pool. The lines seldom completely block all access, - after all, the people harvesting the lines have to be able to get their boats in and out. Anyway, even if you can't access the inner parts of a particular bay in Loch Torridon, it's not exactly short of other options.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617 LastLast