Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718 LastLast

Default Re: West coast of Scotland - is it cruising friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    A slightly different question - how easy is it to find anchorages for a boat drawing 9ft?
    As BoB says there are quite a few anchorages catering for deeper boats. But equally there are a lot of lovely places where you will unfortunately have to miss. And donít assume all visitor moorings will be deep enough for a boat over 2m.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    As BoB says there are quite a few anchorages catering for deeper boats. But equally there are a lot of lovely places where you will unfortunately have to miss. And don’t assume all visitor moorings will be deep enough for a boat over 2m.
    Most will, but there are some at Ardminish and also at Craighouse which probably won't...

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    The offers of local jobs have (at the Muck site) not actually ended up providing employment for original locals, but some that have moved in to work there. Could be good, small communities can usually benefit from growth.
    On a vaguely related note, a lot has been made of employment opportunities building wind farms in Galloway. A year ago I met the team putting up one local farm. Very nice people, and ever one of them was Filipino.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by pagoda View Post
    OK, hens then??
    You're missing the point of the schoolboy joke - peacocks don't lay eggs (peahens do). It's a bit like "If an airliner crashes on the border between X and Y (say US&Canada for example) where do they bury the survivors?"

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Pretty accurate, though. Almost any settlement in the islands is surrounded by a blight of abandoned machinery, vehicles and domestic appliances. I'm surprised that little of it seemed to go during the scrap iron boom a few years ago, but perhaps RET will make it worthwhile in future for some enterprising scrap dealer to go on tour.
    After 58 years living in the West of Scotland and I guess 40 years boating, I really cant recall seeing a scrap car lying abandoned on a beach or anywhere visible from a boat. Same goes for domestic appliances. There are obviously tidal inlets in the odd place that seems to gather some odd bits and bobs of domestic plastic rubbish and fishing boat rubbish, but that's about it. That's bad enough, but cars, machinery, washing machines and the like??? I can honestly say I have never seen anything like that.

I have observed abandoned farm machinery quite often in the Western isles and similar islands. It seems farmers are very good at being messy for some reason, but they keep their mess inland and usually around their own farm land.

Maybe I need to visit Specsavers, as I just don't see the so called mess around Scottish coastline that some have mentioned. Not even in the Clyde.

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

I was so horrified by the debris discarded in the outer isles (and some inner isles) that I asked a local if the council had stopped providing refuse services. He said that the cost of proper disposal of bulky items, such as washing machines and cars , was too expensive as they had to go to the mainland and so they were "just dumped in a corner away from the house".
    By the way, we are talking about the country/hillsides, not he actual beach.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    As BoB says there are quite a few anchorages catering for deeper boats. But equally there are a lot of lovely places where you will unfortunately have to miss. And don’t assume all visitor moorings will be deep enough for a boat over 2m.
    Thanks. I would not pick up a visitor's mooring, as one doubts whether the people who laid it had 22 ton heffalumps in mind, so its anchor unless the buoy has a suitable weight written on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    I was so horrified by the debris discarded in the outer isles (and some inner isles) that I asked a local if the council had stopped providing refuse services. He said that the cost of proper disposal of bulky items, such as washing machines and cars , was too expensive as they had to go to the mainland and so they were "just dumped in a corner away from the house".
    By the way, we are talking about the country/hillsides, not he actual beach.
    That's my observation of quite a few places North and West of Kintyre. Not universal, some places are maintained tidily. Others have dead cars, freezers, old tractors littered around their properties. Actual beaches are not common dumping grounds...

Ooops sorry fellow posters, I thought you were talking about the beaches and coastline!!

Quote Originally Posted by asteven221 View Post
    After 58 years living in the West of Scotland and I guess 40 years boating, I really cant recall seeing a scrap car lying abandoned on a beach or anywhere visible from a boat. Same goes for domestic appliances. There are obviously tidal inlets in the odd place that seems to gather some odd bits and bobs of domestic plastic rubbish and fishing boat rubbish, but that's about it. That's bad enough, but cars, machinery, washing machines and the like??? I can honestly say I have never seen anything like that.
    Me neither, which is why I wrote "Almost any settlement in the islands is surrounded ..." and not "Almost every beach in the islands is covered ..."
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718 LastLast